Hello again

Norman

I used to post here a lot, but my job of DVD critic and running a farm have kept me busy. But now I was interested in seeing what was new with Klipsch so here I am again. I see the LF-10 and 12's are here and gone; what was up with that? I thought they were supposed to be the big cheese for subs. So the RSW-15 is coming out soon; how much better will it be than the KSW-15 I have now? The increase in power from the amp sounds like it is only incremental rather than revolutionary.

I also see there are new top end speakers in the reference series. I have the RC-3 and RS-3's to go with my La Scalas and the sub; now I wonder how much better the bigger surrounds and center are.

I've also been considering whether I wouldn't be better off just getting a set of RF-3's for the fronts and use my La Scalas just for music, and having a complete Reference system for home theater. Too bad it's such a chore to get to a dealer who actually has the Klipsch on display; it's about 75 miles to get to the nearest one who even then is pretty haphazard about which speakers he's got on the floor and hooked up.

Of course I could just get two more pairs of La Scalas for my center front and rear and the two surrounds and go that way all around. Not sure how well La Scalas would work for the center channel though; dialogue intelligibility isn't what the La Scala was designed for.

I'm building a new home theater room on my house, so I'd have room for all those La Scalas, but having the money for the add on and the new speakers might be another story.

Nice to see some familiar names, and plenty of new ones around here.

Norman

------------------

Norman Short

Film Critic

DVD Verdict

http://www.dvdverdict.com/

Yes, I could order online, but that wouldn't tell me what I want to know, other than by buying speakers unheard and deciding which to keep. There's no good answers; I would like to hear the RF-3's with my current system and with the RC-7 and matching surrounds, I'd like to hear how an all La Scala system would sound, and I want to hear the new sub and find out how it stacks with the old. Obviously I can't do all that. So I guess I'm looking for input on how much better the sound of the RC-7 is compared to the RC-3, and the same for the surrounds. I know eventually I'll be upgrading the sub, and I might upgrade the center and surrounds, but am completely indecisive when it comes to going all Heritage stuff or going Reference and just using my La Scalas for music. I love my La Scalas, but they don't match extremely well with my current center and surrounds, and the KSW-15 sub, while fine for the reference speakers, has a bit of a hard time keeping up with the 104 db sensitivity of the La Scalas. It *can* keep up, but barely. Eventually I'll be looking for the sub to make me lose stuff off my shelves during the action movies.

With the possible exception of the sub, I'll want to stay with Klipsch. Whether my next sub is Klipsch too will depend on their new one, how it stacks up to last year's model and the one before that I already own.

What is the word on the Jubilees anyway? I could end up screwing up all my plans and buying a pair of them and using my La Scalas as rears.

The hardest part of home theater for me is making up my mind Smile.gif.

------------------

Norman Short

Film Critic

DVD Verdict

Norman,

I'd think the la scala would be a fantastic center speaker, if you can accomodate their size. That big horn midrange is a killer.

Personally, I still prefer the idea of separate music and video systems though, where that is feasible. So if that is something you really want to do, then the Reference system A/V rig and Heritage music set-up would be great. Of course, if money were no object, I'd prefer heritage speakers in both environments! (But then again, I've never heard any of the new Reference speakers. That sub looks awesome!)

I do believe I would try to avoid mixing the heritage and reference lines, with the exception of that sub, though. I just don't think they would mesh that well. At least not for music.

These decisions are difficult, aren't they? But fun!

------------------

JDMcCall

Guest BobG

Hi Norman, nice to hear from you again.

RSW-15 sub is nothing, not a bit, nada, nichts, zilch, like the KSW-15. In fact, All the new RSW subs will beat the KSW-15 in performance. You gotta get to your dealer to hear them once they hit the street. Don't get overanxious as it's still just a bit down the road, but don't make any assumptions based on driver diameter. Klipsch learned a LOT in the LF project which caused us to take a new direction in the development of the RSW line. There is no replacement for displacement as they say in automotive circles. Physics is a tough master and we have quit trying to beat its laws.

Re the RC-7, it is one sweet sounding center. A bit smaller in dimension than the KLF-C7 and has our new Killer Compression Driver. Magnet bigger than on most 12" woofers! You'll have to listen for yourself to determine if it matches your La Scalas better than the RC-3. I suspect you'll desire it.

I know your current questions and struggles are the same as the last time you were here. I suggest you wait till the full Reference Flagship system is in the stores and go give it a serious audition. Be sure to bring your checkbook.Biggrin.gif

Nice to hear from you again Bob, both personally and since you are the only one with the answers before the new speakers hit the dealers.

So the RC-7 and RS-7's are the new bigger center and surrounds you talked about before? I'll definitely give them a listen. Same for the RSW-15 sub.

Yeah, you know me by now; I'm Mr. Indecisive when it comes to my home theater purchases. At least I don't fret over which brand to buy; my leanings always go back and forth between different Klipsch products Smile.gif. Last time the decision was made for me because I found such a great deal on the La Scalas. I'd almost bought the RF-3's when that came about.

Hopefully I'll find the RC-7 will make a better match for the La Scalas. That would suit me fine and I wouldn't feel like I had to set up a separate music system. Not sure if I really need to upgrade the surrounds or just add the KSW-15 sub to them for the rears. I'd always been tempted to go for floorstanding full range speakers for the rear if I ever decided to upgrade, so not sure if I'd want the RS-7 surrounds or not. I've not really had any complaints about the RS-3's except for the low end, which a sub for the rears would take care of.

I've just been waiting for you guys to make the speakers I want to upgrade again; I can wait a bit longer.

Odd how indecisive I get when it comes to home theater purchases since I review about 7 movies a week and never seem to have trouble making up my mind about what I think about them. Of course I never have to choose between an old classic like Casablanca and a new one like Traffic. I get to have my cake and eat it too, which none of us can afford when it comes to speakers Smile.gif. Otherwise we'd just buy everything Smile.gif.

------------------

Norman Short

Film Critic

DVD Verdict