Build a better bass trap by Ethan Winer

m00n

Interesting, logical, and relatively simple to build.

I have been wondering if anyone has tried (or seen results) from a hybrid bass trap... where the 1/4" plywood face would also serve as a diffuser?

In other words... you start out with Ethan Winer's bass trap as follows:

Deep-Bass-trap.gif

then you replace the front 1/4" straight plywood with a curved one similar to the one described in Dope from Hope (and similar to artto's room)

dopefromhope-polycylindrica.jpg

to act as a diffuser. I can see several problems with this idea, but I'm wondering if they are less significant to the obvious benefit of creating a compact bass trap / diffuser in one unit.

The possible drawbacks I see include:

1) Curving the front panel will give the 1/4" plywood more rigidity, which is the opposite of what we are looking for... as it will absorb less bass frequencies. If the panel is increased in size (curved width) from 2' to lets say 4' wide... will this be enough to weaken it?

2) Closing and sealing the top and bottom (with an arched piece) will also give the panel some unwanted rigidity... more so than the flat end piece used in Ethans design.

Unfortunately, I don't have the means to test the effectiveness of one model versus the other.

I'm just wondering as this may be a useful compact solution as many people (myself included) don't have the luxury of many blank walls to provide adequate treatment.

Just thinking out loud...

Rob

post-11489-13819249263676_thumb.gif

Formica... WOW... You were thinking the exact same thing I was... A curved panel to act as a diffuser as well as the absorber. I also thought that it would be counter productive because of the ridgidness.

One thing that came to mind is that you could create your own plywood diffuser. I can't find it now, but I seen an article where this guy built his own using plywood. Ahhh yes... I found it. Here is the guys diffusers or here is one pic.

DIY42diff2.JPG

Anyway, you could build something like that and mount it to the plywood... Perhaps?

He went real wild on that scroll saw... ;)

Unfortunately attaching the strips would add even more rigidity than the curve... like beams under a floor slab. Great as diffusers but not as a bass-trap. Actually bookcases also work well as diffusers... but that is a different story.

Later...

Rob