Digital Video Essentials -"small speaker" setting

cn1790

In the new Digital Video Essentials they recommend that even with large full range speakers that the receiver be set to the "small speaker" setting, letting the sub handle all the bass. For grins I'm trying it and have found immediatly that I need to rebalance and measure everything before I can make a good comparsion. Unfortunitly I loaned my SPL meter to a friend who has not returned it as yet. Anyone else tried this suggestion and if so what was your experience?

-tim

ya know i went through all that, and i found that the statement was wrong. when you go to the point of sending the bulk of the bass to you sub you effectivly kill your soundstage, there is soo much effect coming from all channels, and the klipsches are designed to handle thisduring ht especially, imagine the cool explosions with all the lfe coming from 1 channel? hmmmmmm? i prefere the sound to come from where it is placed12.gif

Yeah I'm agreeing with Marksdad on this...

What they suggest may be a true statement for some gear and speakers but I would not take that as a blanket statement. I have everything but my surrounds set to large. In my opinion it adds warmth to the audio. If you have a fairly hi powered amp/receiver I don't see much of a reason not to set them to large. I have tried both and I prefer large settings.

Just my $1.00 - $.75

Yeah, I'm going to have to agree with you guys. I have tried it all weekend, I noticed the mid's-highs are liberated a bit, but the low's -highs are missing which comes across as not quite as full. I may try it again at some point and run a frequiency analysis just to prove it. The integrated amp I have sends either 110 or 130 watts per channel to the mains. I enjoyed having those mid-highs but am puzzled how to get those back without a seperate amp.

the biggest problem i see and thankfully DON'T have(thanks Sony!!)is NOT being able to send bass as low as 40Hz to the speakers...most receivers/preamps won't allow bass below 80Hz to go to the speakers :(

this is, imo,what you need to find out. IF your receiver/preamp WILL allow bass as low as 40Hz(or whatever the lower end of your speaker's bass response allows)to go to the speakers AND roll the rest off to a GOOD sub, then i would DEFINITELY recommend setting it up to do so.

avman.