Beginner needs help please.

I am looking at either the RF-3 or the SF-2. I would like to have comments on the differences. Also I am wanting to place them in an entertainment cabinet that would only leave the front of the speaker exposed will this be OK or should I place them on the floor.

Spesker plscement can make a BIG difference in the way a speaker sounds in a given room - building these floor standing speakers into a cabnet would limit your ability to experiment with placement. Usually these speakers sound best out from walls which would be difficult with a built-in situation.

Since both of these speakers are rear vented, building them into a cabinet would kill what bass they have. I also agree with Soundog on speaker placement making a difference.

I have SF-2's that are placed on either end of a wall unit/entertainment center. I can't move them much, but have turned them to point at the primary listening position, which seems to help.

If you have to build in, you might look at the bookshelf type speakers; RB-5, SB-2, SB-3 to name a few. I believe these are front vented.

------------------

Jim

SF-2 Mains

SF-1 Center (pair)

RS-3 Surrounds

RC-3 Rear Center

KSW-10 Subs (pair)

Yamaha RX-V1 Reciever

Yamaha CDC-655 CD Player

Toshiba SD-1200 DVD

Toshiba TN50X81 50" HDTV