Heresy or KT-LCR THX for Center Channel?

Chris Robinson

I have a dilemma ... I have a single Heresy (I) on the way to try out as a center channel for my HT system. Currently, I am using a KT-LCR (THX-rated) as a center and it sounds great. But I'm always trying to coax a little more sound out of the system, so I thought I'd try the Heresy. I figured with the larger woofer, a good midrange and tweeter, it would sound better.

I'm using some 1984 Cornwalls up front, and have some vintage Heresy's for L/R rears.

Does anybody have any opinion as to what would sound better, or are there any land mines I need to watch for with the Heresy as a center channel?

Thanks for all your input ...

------------------

Denon AVR-3800

McIntosh MC-2105 (Fronts)

Toshiba SD-3109 DVD

Klipsch Cornwall I's (LF/RF)

Klipsch KT-LCR ©

Klipsch Heresy (RR/LR)

Klipsch KSW-12 sub

chris, that should be a great sounding set-up. i believe it's Steve P that has his heresy center upside down on top of the tv to get those high drivers more in line (if that's where your's is going).

------------------

Klipsch KLF 30 (front), KLF C-7, Cornwall I (rear)

Velodyne HGS-18 sub woofer

Monsterbass 400 sub interconnects & Monster CX-2 biwire & Z-12 cable

Marantz SR-8000 receiver

Sony DVP-C650D cd/dvd player

Sony Trinitron 27" stereo tv

Toshiba hi-fi stereo vcr

Technics dual cassette deck

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2000 digital cable box

Boa's Listenin Lounge:

Klipsch RF-3 (front), RC-3, cheap little Technics (rear)

Monster MCX Biwires

Sony STR-DE935 a/v receiver

Kenwood KR-9600 AM/FM stereo receiver (vintage 1975)

Russound AB-2 receiver switch to RF-3

Teac PD-D1200 5-disk cd changer

Technics direct drive turntable

Sega Genesis game player

Sub: None yet

rock on!

Chris,

That's a great move! I think you'll love the Heresy as a center and it'll be a great match for your other Heritage speakers. I'm using a Heresy II with my LaScalas up front, and I've got two Heresy IIs for rear music surrounds. It's an incredible combo. My RS-3s are great surround speakers, but I'm sticking with Heritages all around for music (I know, I know... one of those 5-channel stereo guys...). I do love to listen to the LaScalas in plain ole two-channel mode, but I think the Heresies sound great in a multi-channel setup like you're planning.

Let us know how you like the sound and how it compares to your other center!

Ross

------------------

"Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana."

Oh, BTW. The Heresy was originally designed as a center channel speaker. My Heresy center is right-side-up, on a slant riser base, below where the screen will eventually go. The old documentation also indicates that you can lay the Heresy on its side, if that works out better for your setup. Before the LaScalas, I had my Heresies (in front) on their sides for a while, and I thought it helped imaging somewhat. I've not put my center Heresy on its side, but I wouldn't hesitate to try it if my room layout demanded it.

Ross again...

------------------

"Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana."

yea i forgot to mention too Redface.gif that if u put it on tv top, another reason to invert would be to get that bigger woofer magnet farther away from the tube since the heresy aren't magnetically shielded. hopefully u have a rptv so it's no potential problem there.

------------------

Klipsch KLF 30 (front), KLF C-7, Cornwall I (rear)

Velodyne HGS-18 sub woofer

Monsterbass 400 sub interconnects & Monster CX-2 biwire & Z-12 cable

Marantz SR-8000 receiver

Sony DVP-C650D cd/dvd player

Sony Trinitron 27" stereo tv

Toshiba hi-fi stereo vcr

Technics dual cassette deck

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2000 digital cable box

Boa's Listenin Lounge:

Klipsch RF-3 (front), RC-3, cheap little Technics (rear)

Monster MCX Biwires

Sony STR-DE935 a/v receiver

Kenwood KR-9600 AM/FM stereo receiver (vintage 1975)

Russound AB-2 receiver switch to RF-3

Teac PD-D1200 5-disk cd changer

Technics direct drive turntable

Sega Genesis game player

Sub: None yet

rock on!

This message has been edited by boa12 on 05-29-2001 at 08:22 PM

Chris,the Heresy uses the same tweeter,same mid driver with a slightly smaller horn(if it's an older Heresy)as the Cornwall and would probably be a better match.I have mine as boa said upside down to get it the tweeters on a closer plane and run it "large".I did modify it using a K-Horn squawker(mid).Check out my web page(little house in the bar bellow)

Steve, nice system! And thanks for the Heresy recommendation ... I will most likely go that route.

If I invert the Heresy as you recommend, that puts the largest magnet (woofer) furthest from RPTV directly below it (where your squawker is). Boa indicated that the RPTV is fairly immune to mag fields ... Do you find this to be the case as well?

Chris

------------------

Denon AVR-3800

Toshiba SD-3109 DVD

Klipsch KT-LCR ©

Klipsch Heresy (RR/LR)

Klipsch KSW-12 sub

The guns are in the bottom and not effected by magnets.When mine was rightside up there was no sign of a problem.

Using the Heresy as a center should be a perfict match.Closer than it was to my Horns untill I modified it.Cornwalls and with Heresy surrounds and center should make a great sounding system.Wish I could hear it.cwm20.gif

Well I just up'ed the ante ... I saw what appears to be a very clean walnut-oil Belle for sale on Ebay last night ... for $675 in supposedly mint condition ... in Philadelphia. I was surprised nobody was bidding on it ... so with 5 seconds to go, I threw in a $675 bid and it stuck. Was I nuts to do this? Why was nobody interested, at least as a gorgeous center channel?

I'm just finishing the design of the center section of my HT cabinetry and can integrate these dimensions into the design (BTW, after taking the Mrs. down to Tweeter to check out RPTV's, we decided to hold off and wait a few years ... I wanted to go 16:9 but most of the programming is still in 4:3 and the stretch mode just looks a little funny (the Pioneer's stretch mode is gorgeous but is also $7K!))

So now I almost have a Belle ... unbelievable. Anybody interest in my KT-LCR THX-rated unit before I put it out on Ebay in a few weeks? Will pass it along for what I paid for it (think it was around $350).

Let me know, and someone tell me I was nuts to pick up this Belle ...

------------------

Denon AVR-3800

Toshiba SD-3109 DVD

Klipsch KT-LCR ©

Klipsch Heresy (RR/LR)

Klipsch KSW-12 sub