A Perfect Circle - Thirteenth Step

skonopa

After hearing some good things about this album, I decided to pick it up. It is not often that I buy anything now-a-days from the "mainstream", but in this case, I am very impressed, as well, I have found A Perfect Circle's sound to be anything but mainstream. This is one of those rare albums that I enjoyed every single track on the album and could just sit and listen from beginning to end.

Everything from the deep bass to the hard-hitting guitars just kicks butt on my RF-7s. Also, I have always liked A Perfect Circle's vocal style. Certainly a very unique sound. Also, some of these tracks have some seriously complex rythms, such as the track "Pet".

This is certainly some of the best Alternative rock that I have heard in a long time. Definitly worth checking out in my humble opinion if you are a fan of that kind of music.

----------------

On 10/7/2003 10:00:56 AM damonrpayne wrote:

Is that the 2nd perfect circle album? I still say they sound too much like Tool, but without the same "edge". Not bad though

----------------

I believe so. Thier previous album was "Mer De Nom", which I may go and pick up. Yeah, I guess they do sound a bit like Tool. Still one of the better bands to come around in recent years.

----------------

On 10/7/2003 10:40:04 PM skonopa wrote:

I believe so. Thier previous album was "Mer De Nom", which I may go and pick up. Yeah, I guess they do sound a bit like Tool. Still one of the better bands to come around in recent years.

----------------

Mer de Noms is a great disc...you'll like it very much...pretty much wore my cd out...if thats possible!

----------------

On 10/7/2003 10:45:06 PM reel 2 reel wrote:

Mer de Noms is a great disc...you'll like it very much...pretty much wore my cd out...if thats possible!

----------------

I just went and picked that up. I sure do like it! Yes, this goes to show that there is still some decent music that can be found in the mainstream alternative rock. Another rare disc that I can listen to from beginning to end.

This is a great album, especially in the sound department. AWESOME production....

As far as sounding like Tool...I do agree that the vocals do (after all, they're both the same guy), but I think the music itself is COMPLETELY different. Tool is much more complex, using complex time signatures and much more texture. APC is more of a sensible Pop-ish somewhat gothic sound. Great band, but not up to the calibur of Tool. (Remember, I'm not tearing on APC, just debating their comparison to Tool).

Anyway, if you like the APC stuff, and the emotional aspect of it, try Tool's last two albums, Aenima and Lateralus. Two of my favorite albums EVER, and, in my opinion, legendary. Especially on Klipsch (hehe).

----------------

On 10/10/2003 8:16:19 AM dblue wrote:

This is a great album, especially in the sound department. AWESOME production....

As far as sounding like Tool...I do agree that the vocals do (after all, they're both the same guy), but I think the music itself is COMPLETELY different. Tool is much more complex, using complex time signatures and much more texture. APC is more of a sensible Pop-ish somewhat gothic sound. Great band, but not up to the calibur of Tool. (Remember, I'm not tearing on APC, just debating their comparison to Tool).

----------------

I somewhat disagree, the first time I heard some of the 1st album on the radio I thought it was Tool. The difference between Tool's musical structure and Perfect Circle's seemed to me that it was within the amount that bands change their sound between albums. I guess I agree that the differences are subtle, if you don't know much music theory (time signatures, keys, modes, chord theory, etc) I think they wouldn't be apparent at all.

BTW, Tool's latest album has really grown on me. Its one of the few albums in today's music that really has an overall feel as an album, its not just a collection of songs that have nothing to do with each other.

I somewhat disagree, the first time I heard some of the 1st album on the radio I thought it was Tool. The difference between Tool's musical structure and Perfect Circle's seemed to me that it was within the amount that bands change their sound between albums. I guess I agree that the differences are subtle, if you don't know much music theory (time signatures, keys, modes, chord theory, etc) I think they wouldn't be apparent at all.

BTW, Tool's latest album has really grown on me. Its one of the few albums in today's music that really has an overall feel as an album, its not just a collection of songs that have nothing to do with each other.

----------------

I will agree that Judith sounded a lot like Tool, and Tool is one of Billy H's influences, having toured with them for years as Adam's guitar tech (not to mention the fact that Maynard is in both bands). I was pointing out the differences between the band's writing styles. Tool will take an idea, and expand on it indefinitely. I think they're one of the only bands since Led Zepplin that had a 7 minute single with Schism. APC tends to make things short, sweet, and to the point. The first album's longest song was 4:47, and Thirteenth Step's longest is 7:40. Tool has been known to write songs in the 15 minute range, and the 3 song suite (which is SWEET, hehe 3.gif) on Lateralus (disposition, reflection, triad) hits the 24 minute mark.

Anyway, both are great bands. And I totally agree on your comment that Lateralus is a great Album. Very cohesive. Aenima is right up there too.

I think you have to expect APC to sound like Tool, I mean come on they have the same lead singer.

Tool although, is much more dynamic in their songs. Danny Carey is amazing, and does things to the songs that APC can never make me feel.

I love both bands, but like someone else said, APC is more "short and sweet."

btw, I have front row seats to the APC show Nov. 18th, it's at my University9.gif

edit: Have you guys heard the Tilling my Grave remix of Weak and Powerless? It's off the underworld soundtrack I believe. Also, for those who haven't heard this CD yet (13th Step), check out The Outsider, Blue, and The Pet. Those are my favorites1.gif