Quartets and phantom center, angle speakers or straight?

alkemyst

I know for Stereo listening angling the speakers to the listener is best, but what about for a 2 speaker HT setup using a phantom center.

It's a small room....speakers are about 5.5 feet apart (center to center) and 6.5 feet from the listening position.

Hi,

it depends on your speakers, but as they have horns you will benefit by angling them. This will create a broader sweetspot, more people on the coach will be able to 'hear' the phantom channel.

There is a Dope from Hope with a nice diagram that explains in nicely.

Best regards ... Jef

• 9 months later...

Try pulling the speakers out so that their face is in front of the TV screen. This will help reduce the early relfection off of the screen.

The face of my speakers are 5 inches in front of the screen. I did an experiment last week with imaging by standing couch cushions in front of the screen (listening to music) and was amazed at how much better the imaging is with the TV screen covered.

Now most of my listening will be with no TV (covered).

Well I am short on space, however the speakers 'front' at an angle starts at the front of the screen and moves out. About 5.5' apart 32" TV inbetween and above (I'd have liked it level with the tweeters but I will shoot for that when I move).

They are about 6' from the front of the couch so maybe listener will be 6.5' away....pointed at the middle of the couch.

Sounds more spatial though....sort of tingly to my ears....I really want a center even though my Quartets do a good phantom job. Still running a RX-V1050 reciever (dolby pro) and need surrounds.

I know when I move I will be going back to Klipsch....I had a Def Tech BP20/BP10/CLR1000, Rotel 965/990 amps, Rotel tuner and Dolby Preamp and a Marantz CC-65SE changer...nice setup, but even if I had it now, just wouldn't work in a 60sq ft listening area so well.

Thanks everyone.