how does a Pioneer VSX receiver compare

glennbarn

glennbarn,

Both the Pioneer Elites and the newest Yamahas have acoustic room correction. Pioneer's system is known to work. The Yamaha's room correction is an unknown at this time; it could go either way. The Z9 is supposed to use paramteric EQ which is better EQ if it works. The new Pioneer 59TXi measures room reverbs.

The Pioneer VSX-49TXi, 55TXi and 59TXi have i.link for use with i.link equiped DVD-A and SACD players. The i.link allows the receiver to do bass management, time alignment and digital to analog conversion. Yamaha is going in the same direction, but Pioneer holds the lead at present. This may change rapidly as manufacturers jump on board.

Ulitimately, your ears and needs need to help make the decision. For example, do you like the proprietary Yamaha processing modes that no other company has?

Many members of the board have the VSX-49TXi and some have the 55TXi. I am really happy with my 49TXi and DV-47Ai. I suspect most Pioneer ownwers are happy with their decisions. Yamaha and certain other manufacturers' decision to go the same direction as Pioneer shows how they view Pioneer's advances.

Bill

Glenbarn:

As another satisfied Pioneer Elite VSX-49TXi and DV-47Ai user I totally agree with Mr. McGoo: I love the results I am getting from this combination via the Firewire (i-Link). In addition, I must tell you that the VSX-49TXi also makes a huge difference in how all of my other components sound within the room as well. That includes my (ancient) turntable, and my Digital High-Definition Cable decoder box (Comcast). The sound I get off the cable is remarkable. The receiver's self-calibration is easy and quick to do. The results illustrate that the receiver's adjustments are quite thorough. Although, I cannot on report a comparison with Yamaha products as you have asked, I can tell you that I have always highly respected their offerings. When I purchased my system late, last year, my initial considerations for a receiver were offering from Pioneer Elite, Yamaha and Denon (all respected brands). I did not get the opportunity to audition the Yamaha products (Sorry).

I also agree with Mark's Dad: These are all very good machines, and ultimately, it really does end up with your own ears and personal desires being the deciding factor. I will tell you that many people do find the 150-page VSX-49TXi Owner's Manual to be quite intimidating. But, rest assured, the self-calibration has already read the manual (and apparently, it understands it, too!). So, give these babies a whirl at your local dealer and see what you think. Perhaps, the saleman will be able to answer any set-up questions you may have? Best of luck!

-Picky 2.gif

I have no experience with recent Yamaha products, but their new receivers look to be very competitive with the best affordable stuff out there now. I still think Pioneer Elite has an edge, value-wise, but I MAY be prejudiced.

I really like my 55TXi/47Ai combo. The sound is super clean and neutral. Tube-lovers would no-doubt consider it a bit lean. I just consider it a VERY CLEAN. The i-link is absolutely THE way to go, for my money. And the MCACC is great. It renders a very real (not subtle) improvement in sound with my room/system. I could only wish for either more bands, or a multi-band para-metric like some of the Yamaha's have.

My only gripes so far with this receiver (I have none with the 47Ai), are the skinny, captive power cord, and the fact that I can't use DPL-II processing with hi-rez two-channel sources. And I don't know if that last thing is possible with ANY receiver or pre/pro.