cartridge life?

j-malotky

All your TT talk has given me the itch to put my old Thorens 166 back in my rack.

I have two tone arms with cartridges mounted.

The first is an Ortofon VMS5E Mk2 that I would guess I bought in '81 or '82. The second is a Signet TK5EA that is probably from '84 or '86.

Are these good old boys in any shape to use? Any one of them stand up to time better than the other?

Still have some work to do before any LP's are spun on my system so I thought I better ask sooner than later.

Kind of excited to be back to all analog again.

Thanks in advance,

JM

Warning: Counting the "if's" in the next paragraph could prove taxing

If the cartridges were stored in a dark, cool, dry and ozone-free environment they may be in a good enough condition to still use. If they have been stored in an attic or right next to your Sharper Image Ionic Breeze air purifier they're probably toast. Depending on what materials the maker used and how the cantilever is mounted the suspension may have hardened or completely deteriorated. If you have a good magnifying glass look closely and see if the cantilever is straight and if it's bushing/grommet/elastomer looks dry-rotted or melted. Using your fingernail carefully touch the stylus and move the cantilever up and down. If it moves very stiffly or extremely loose the suspension is probably shot, but different cartridge manufacturers damp them as needed so the stiffness will vary. If they survive inspection this far the next thing is to look at the stylus under a microscope to determine wear. Some audio dealers still keep microscopes around or a mediochre quality scientific type borrowed from your neighbor's budding Carl Sagan-wannabe kid will also do. If the stylus looks good just clean it and set it up but first try it on LP's you're not in love with to be on the safe side. If in doubt do not use a questionable condition cartridge, if the suspension has hardened/loosened or the stylus is shot it will sound like crap and ruin your LP's as a bonus.

A cartridge's elastomer, rubber, or whatever the maker used definitely ages so the damping will also change, directly altering the sonic characteristics of that particular cartridge. It may sound decent but chances are that it doesn't sound as good as it did when fresh. I've got two cartridges around that I've had since the 80's and both still sound reasonably good. I only use them in secondary systems with worn or thrift store vinyl and play the good stuff on recently manufactured cartridges in my main systems.

----------------

On 10/13/2003 9:47:53 AM j-malotky wrote:

Thanks for the info.

I will have to inspect them when I have some time later in the week.

Probably will just opt to replace since they are so old.

JM

----------------

What to replace with is the question. Read "WHAT TO DO, WHAT TO DO."2.gif