Rear surround speaker placement issues can you help?

Shiplemw1

Ok, in my listening room/bedroom (I'm home for the summer) I have created a built up deck which gives me like a two level living space. On top of this 92" wide by 126" long deck I have my futon and soon my ht/music setup. My only problem with this is that the left side of the deck is up against the wall and I have no where to mount/attach my speakers like I did in my residence hall. So here's the question. I've read the dolby lab manual on speaker placement and I believe I have two options for my surround speakers.

1. Place them on their backs on the floor of my deck. Keep in mind right now my surrounds are either gonna be my jvc crappo surrounds or a set of bose (they suck too I know) 201 or 301 I can't remember the model # (6.25" driver and 1" tweeter I do believe).

2. I have a recess in my ceiling where a heating/cooling vent was supposed to be installed and was not installed. I could take the cover off that and it is deep enough that I could place my jvc el cheapos up there. They would fire almost straight down into my listening position though....

SO....

Let me get your opinions on what I should do. I'm thinking I'll try the method suggested by the dolby lab manual and put them on the floor, raise them up if I can somehow but most likely will do it that way.

Let me have your opinions,

shipley

It seems to me like you're picked two potentally good locations. However, just about everyone on the forum has agreed that experimentation is necessary.

One additional thought comes to mind. Do you need some floor standing lamps at your listening location? They could serve as stands.

I have a two floor standing lamps manufactured by Holmes. They have an "urn" firing at the ceiling and a gooseneck for direct lighting. Very nice units for lighting. I bought them at Lowe's, a home improvement center.

No, I'm not trying to sell you mine. And I don't use them as stands. However, small surrounds could be rigged to such units. That way you have the surrounds high and wide. It could work.

Gil