How can I improve stereo imaging in my small room?

Pistol Pete

Yeah I have pretty much a worst case scenario here except for the fact that nothing (tv etc) is in between my main speakers and I can toe them in some and they are not exactly in the corners.

Speakers are Klipsch RF-3IIs for mains and they are my only concern, HT use is fine but stereo performance leaves something to be desired. Being that they are more forward sounding then my last speakers it seems its alot harder to get a good image out of them. Amp is a Yamaha RX-V3300.

Its like everything is everywhere except in a single sweet spot in the room and frankly I am not into sitting in the middle of my sofa, Id like a decent sound if I sit anywhere on the sofa.

Room is 10' long x 8.5' wide, sofa is against the wall to get as far away from my 66" wide screen as possible.

Moving the sofa in or the speakers out any more than a few inches is not an option.

Speakers are toed in and about 6' apart if I measure the space between them, actual seating is at about 9' .

Changing the toe and playing around with what little room I have for adjusting the speaker locations has helped some but it would be nice to get a little more holographic type image out of them over a wider area.

My last speaker threw a very wide soundstage and image and it felt very holographic but those are characteristics of laid back speakers.

What are some things I can do?

BTW I do love the RF-3s as they are its just they are so much clearer than what I am used to, my ears love them for their clarity but I do miss some of characteristics of my old speakers too.

I do know the RF-3IIs image like made if they are in a huge room because I auditioned them in a very large room and they were just sweet as can be. Unfotunatly I do not have such a room at my disposal.

Hi, Pete: Sorry to hear of your room issues. I can relate as I have been dealing with sound within small rooms myself for years as I live in a small house which has small rooms. I'm sure having a simple diagram of your room would probably help us on the forum visualize your setup a bit better. But, it you are unable to provide one, that is fine. It's just a friendly suggestion. One way I have discovered to make a room "work" as if it were a larger room, it to isolate the left and right front speakers from the side walls that are immediately adjacent the two speakers. I try to do so by either moving them as far away from either wall as possible, which it sounds like you have already done, or, I install something absorbtive on the walls directly adjacent the two speakers that will help to block any early reflections from reaching the listeners. These early reflections can have a cancellation effect, that can both diminish the sound's overall body and timbre, but it can also destroy the sound stage and imaging of the sound. If possible, a decorative hanging, rug or tapestry may be used, or in your case, strategically-placed sound deadening panels from companies such as Sonex (Illbruck Industries) may be the answer. Illbruck makes "Fabritech Wall Panels", which I have examined. They are very effective and are pleasing to look at. The entire wall does not need to be covered, just the area where the reflection occurs. Check out this site if you wish http://www.illbruck-sonex.com/products/products_FABRITEC.html I hope this helps you. I'm sure many of the forum participants will have plenty more ideas for you, too. Best of luck! -Picky 2.gif