static sound from rf-3 main.

i don't want to sound like a pain with another static issue, but i was watching gladiator today at a high volume level. before i go on i will list my equipment being used. receiver: denon avr4800...dvd player: pioneer dv-c302d...rf-3 mains w/16 gauge monster wire(not bi-wired yet), rc-3 center bi wired w/ monster "m-series" bi-wire cable(forgot model but cost $50.00). well, on the very first arena fight scene where the masked fighter is swinging his long spiked mace and the wimpy guy is urinating on himself, there is a swooshing sound that pans around the room starting from left main, to rears and back to right main and center from the swinging mace. well i noticed on the second or third swing of the mace(just after the bigger slave gladiator closes his eyes), there was a static sound accompanied with the "swoosh" as if it was to much for the tweeter to handle. now if any one owns the denon4800, the volume was set at -16 which is somewhat loud. could it be because the speaker is still new? it also did the same with dialogue on the new "close-encounters" dvd but it wasn't turned up as loud. when someone speaks loudly, there voice may tend to break up at times and it did it a lot. is this normal with a new set of speakers? i don't think it should be. please help.

It sounds like the denon of yours suffers from clipping ???

Turn down the volume a bit and hear if there is the same sound. If not than it is definitly clipping.

Or is it DTS??? I'm going to see this movie very soon because of the DTS. My DTS decoder had uptill now nothing to do. I will let you know how things went.....

------------------

-------------------------

Receiver: Onkyo 676

DVD: Pioneer DV-525

Screen: Thomson 46" RetroProjection

Front: RF-3's

Rear: RF-3's

Center: RC-3

samuel, u sure it's not coming from the rc-3?

i've gotten this static in the past w/ a few dolby encoded dvd movies like when somebody screams or yells & have seen others mention it. but it's usually from the center channel. dts encoded seem to do better.

iow, i think we can blame it on the dvd mix - overloading the center channel or maybe in your case the front channels.

my sony receiver had an effect control that alleviated the problem pretty much. do u have the levels on the fronts &/or center turned up?

------------------

Klipsch KLF 30 (front), KLF C-7, Cornwall I (rear)

Velodyne HGS-18 sub woofer

Monsterbass 400 sub interconnects & Monster CX-2 biwire & Z-12 cable

Marantz SR-8000 receiver

Sony DVP-C650D cd/dvd player

Sony Trinitron 27" stereo tv

Toshiba hi-fi stereo vcr

Technics dual cassette deck

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2000 digital cable box

Boa's Listenin Lounge:

Klipsch RF-3 (front), RC-3, cheap little Technics (rear)

Monster MCX Biwires

Sony STR-DE935 a/v receiver

Kenwood KR-9600 AM/FM stereo receiver (vintage 1975)

Russound AB-2 receiver switch to RF-3

Teac PD-D1200 5-disk cd changer

Technics direct drive turntable

Sega Genesis game player

Sub: None yet

rock on!

well i tried turning it down and it didn't make the noise. i think the speaks are just still too new and the tweeter has to soften up still. the denon4800 i have has never clipped. i owned th rc-3 about 2 months now and have it bi-wired. i cranked it to +04 and NO distortion at all. they put a big smile on my face because i never heard a speaker take so much without losing clarity and distorting. i've only had the rf-3's for two weeks. i had to bring the left one back due to one of the woofers being rippled, so the new one is about a week old now and that's the one that made the noise. i think it just needs to soften up more. anyway great speakers and i won't give'em up. the others i demoed in this price range and size don't compare.

yea i don't think it's a receiver issue at all. seen it across all makes & levels of amps, including both my

cheaper sony & nice new marantz. i think it's a dolby/ mixing issue as i've never had the problem w/ a DTS soundtrack. & even w/ dolby it hardly ever happens.

your 4800 probably doesn't have an effect level control

as doesn't my marantz. setting channel levels optimally helps.

------------------

Klipsch KLF 30 (front), KLF C-7, Cornwall I (rear)

Velodyne HGS-18 sub woofer

Monsterbass 400 sub interconnects & Monster CX-2 biwire & Z-12 cable

Marantz SR-8000 receiver

Sony DVP-C650D cd/dvd player

Sony Trinitron 27" stereo tv

Toshiba hi-fi stereo vcr

Technics dual cassette deck

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2000 digital cable box

Boa's Listenin Lounge:

Klipsch RF-3 (front), RC-3, cheap little Technics (rear)

Monster MCX Biwires

Sony STR-DE935 a/v receiver

Kenwood KR-9600 AM/FM stereo receiver (vintage 1975)

Russound AB-2 receiver switch to RF-3

Teac PD-D1200 5-disk cd changer

Technics direct drive turntable

Sega Genesis game player

Sub: None yet

rock on!

Yep, give them some time. They getting better and better although I never had this problem.

For checking if it is really the RF-3 set your receiver just in digital stereo and listen again.

------------------

-------------------------

Receiver: Onkyo 676

DVD: Pioneer DV-525

Screen: Thomson 46" RetroProjection

Front: RF-3's

Rear: RF-3's

Center: RC-3

well thanks for all the input. i just switched my post bridges with 16ga. speaker(monster) cable like some have mentioned on this and other sites, and BAM!!! gone were the days! it's incredible how these little tweaks could produce a smoother realistic sound. i'm impressed people! even though i know i could bi-wire them with ordinary cable, i'm choosing to hold out for the monster cable i ordered. just something to look forward to instead of doing it all in one shot. you know, like going from level one and hearing it get better and better with the different mods. an external amp will be my winter project for the "ex" and "es" modes. i will use the amp for the fronts. i could only imagine the state of bliss i'll be in. i'm sure many are there already. by the way, anyone have that poa-5200 amp for the denon4800? if so, tell me about it..and once again, thanks everyone! oh yeah, one more question. how can i get one of those faces posted above my name?

quote:

Originally posted by samuel r:

oh yeah, one more question. how can i get one of those faces posted above my name?

Smile and say cheese -- click - we've just taken your pictureSmile.gif

Actually, go into your user profile and select an avatar. Looking forward to seeing what you look like!

Doug