3 way Speakers...just rambling...

FirebirdTN

I have been browsing the net, and stumbled onto something I hadn't thought of before...

Looks like new speaker design pretty much eliminates a "midrange" speaker. Have speaker designs come along so far that this is no longer necessary?

Maybe I am just used to seeing too many of those "cheap big" speakers. You know the ones: Kenwood (I actually had a set), Sony, etc...Think the set I had at one time had like a 15" woofer, 3" mid and 1" tweat...

Off subject, I remember my parents owning a set of speakers I wish I still had. I know NOTHING about the company, but remember the speakers perfectly. I wonder if they were actually any good?

They were rated at 40 Watts each. Each enclosure had 5 speakers. I think it was a 12" woofer, two 5" midrange, and 2 1" Tweaters (I believe).

I remember taking them apart, and the woofer alone was rated at 50 Watts, the mids, 5 Watts each, and the tweats 20Watts each. The brand name was "SONICS", and all I remember was the crossovers used grey IC (Illinois Capacitor) caps in them. Something I remember odd, the woofer, in the center of cone, had a small hole, with a metal screen on it. Also the "tweaters" had some type of metal cone in front of them...

Odd...just wondering if anyone has even heard of these things. I have no idea where they ended up. These speakers would have been made sometime in the 60's or 70'...

They were 5 speaker cabinets, but 3-way design...

-Alan