formica on 60's K-Horns

Klipsch didn't use formica. The formica won't hurt or help the sound as long as it was applied right. Tap on it with your finger to see if there are any loose spots that might vibrate. If you have solid contact between the formica and the wood don't worry about it unless you don't like the way it looks.

If you want, or need to take it off let me know and I'll tell you how to do it.

I put black formica (Wilsonart laminate) on my home made K-Horns after investigating my poor skills with thin veneer. I'm quite confident it doesn't hurt anything. I might have used wood grain laminate but nothing available really impresed me. I was in a dark mood at the time.

Okay, how do you get the stuff off? I one of my flubs I used a two inch wood chisel.

Gil

Hello Gil,

You sure removed it the hard way. I bet you removed a lot of the wood doing it that way.

Lacquer thinner is the answer. Use a squeeze bottle like wood glue or ketchup comes in. Do this outside or over cardboard, it's very messy. Take a putty knife to pry apart a small corner of the formica from the surface. Position the peace where you can squirt the lacquer thinner down in between the formica and the surface that it is bonded to. Let qravity help you. The lacquer thinner will desolve the glue as you keep squirting it downward and gently keep pulling the formica downward and away from the surface. An extra pair of hands is helpful. Let the lacquer do all the work. Don't force the formica or it will break.

If I didn't explain this well enought, let me know.

Q-Man,

I guess I should have thought about using a solvent. Good advice and I'll keep in mind for other future exciting adventures in woodworking.

At the time I was not in a good mood and wasn't trying to save the laminate. It was challenging enough to deal with the adhesive originally and, probably, in the back of my mind, did not want to deal with the fumes of lacquer thinner. This was in a garage with the door open and a breeze. I should have used an organic mask, even then.

Actually, there was very little damage to the plywood. I'd spent a good deal of time getting the two inch wide chisel, and its brothers, in shape. With a good edge, they are rewarding to use and easy to control. Makes one feel like a master . . . even with the flubs.

Best,

Gil

hey guys---thanks for your good advice---if i get them i will keep the formica on---i wanna pay $1500 but the seller is holding out for $2000. they are quite mint, but still---that formica...!! thanks again---i look forward to joining the klipsch "lifestyle" ! so far, i've been seen only wearing QUAD clothing ! best, j.h.1.gif

I'd say you should hold fast at $1500, or even less.

There will be other offerings. There is quite a range of units and condition out there.

Don't fall in love with the first one. Second loves can be just as good, if not better.

Gil