John Albrights modded E network???

ttaylor

Is this the schematic that matches your modded/upgraded E networks? I have several diagrams showing red penciled changes but I think this is the final version. I dont remember seeing a list of the components you used being posted, although I may have missed a thread here or there. Could you post them please? Im finally getting around to my poor Heresys.

thanks Taylor

post-12544-13819250011546_thumb.jpg

That's it and here is a pic of the finished product. I doubt if I published a list of components, but as you can see the inductor and black caps are Solen, the tweeter cap is a Hovland and there is a 1 uF Harmony bypass. The Solen/Harmony pair is my brother's idea.

This xover makes a Heresy sound very much like a La Scala, though not exactly the same.

post-2142-13819250012516_thumb.jpg

hi john, i have a question for ya on a B network with cornwalls. when i built these i used E networks and converted them to B's. i used air core inductors for woofers and solen caps for mids and tweeters. would there be an noticable sonic improvement if i change the solens for hovland? also, will i need to change both mid and tweet caps? there seems to be some debate on this as the current is said to run thru the mid cap before the tweet cap. thanks dave

I think you might hear a difference (a good difference) by changing the tweeter cap. I really did not notice a difference between the motor-start cap and Hovland on the squawker circuit.

Modern design is to have all 3 circuits parallel rather than feeding the tweeter from the squawker cap.

Yes, one set of xovers I use in my La Scalas have had all of the caps replaced with Hovlands. I have an air-core inductor for the woofer but have been too lazy to install it. The comment about the inaudible difference when changing the squawker cap comes from the La Scalas; inaudible to me, at least.

The Heresy crossovers are like the ones in the pics, with modern caps and inductors.