Just Got Fortes! (And a mystery)

dgb

Thanks to a list member, I have a pair of beautiful, pristine, 1985 Forte's in walnut.

Compared to the KG4...

HUGE difference in bass. Really gets down low. The KG4s are even good bass speakers.

Midrange is vastly improved, especailly with vocals, which tended to get lost in the KG4s.

The highs are brighter, need to cut the upper ends a little when listening to CDs, especailly older ones it seems.

Much fuller sound, really fills the room.

Added height (+ 12" stands) puts the tweeter/squwaker right at ear level when sitting. Nice benefits with imaging.

Freaking unweildy. Really difficult for one person to carry down stairs. :)

Now the mystery.

The info by the cable jacks says these are 4 ohm speakers, when of course every thing I've read says they are 8. The seller noted they were sold in a PX in Germany, would this have been a different model than sold in the US?

At any rate, I really enjoying them.

dgb -Your comments echo my reaction when I got my first pair of Forte's as an upgrade from my KG4s. They just took my breath away. Then, when I went from my 105wpc Denon surround receiver to a 200wpc dedicated amp, they took another step forward with stronger, more controlled bass.

Enjoy, and don't ever sell them!

DD

It's quite possibe the highs on the Forte are not at fault with needing to cut the highs. It may be the fault is in one of the electronics and the speakers are just showing it up better. Usually, when upgrading one component, it will show up the flaws elsewhere, thus showing the need to upgrade something else.

Does it never end!

Dave9.gif

I'm sure it's not the speakers, when you listen to the same pair of speakers for 14 years you get used to the sound. The KG4 horn is considerably larger than the forte tweeter. Probably just need to adjust to the sound. The only time it was an issue was at excessive volumes with pretty harsh music (Audioslave). Since then I've moved the speakers a little and haven't had any problems at moderate levels. It is possible it's my amp (50watt Nak) but it never had any problems driving the KG4s through the ceiling, which were considerably less sensitive (94 to 98db)

Really haven't had time to give a real through listen yet. Especially not loud.