dynaco monoblocks back!

sunnysal

I just got back the Dynaco MkIV monoblocks that I sent to Mississippi for upgrades/mods after the earthquakes...besides new caps and resistors, new binding posts, input RCA jacks, etc. I had the EL34s wired for "triode" operation...after unwrapping what seemed like endless layers of bubble wrap, putting the tubes back in (first listen for the EL34s that Randy Bey gave me!) I let them warm up for fifteen minutes checked the bias and began to listen...set up some very familiar music (cuts from Miles Davis´ "Kind of Blue", some Tracy Chapman, Santana, Prokofiev "Romeo and Juliet", etc.) I can tell you there is something to this "tube thing"...for the first time the soundstage had depth! I had always had good stereo imaging but NOW I really felt some front to back stuff going on! Also, I feel that the sound is better "fleshed" out now...a roundness, a meatiness I did not really feel before...great cymbal sound as well, no rolling off that I can detect...An added bonus is that now I can get the volume control of my preamp past the 5% position! now I can listen (loudly) with the thing at 25-35% (3-4 o´clock)...I must say I am totally satisfied so far with this mod to the EL34 amp...highly recommended, especially for anyone feeling that their k-horns are just too "harsh" but feel that 5 watts of SET will probably not meet their needs re: volume...regards, Tony

This message has been edited by sunnysal on 06-04-2001 at 09:00 PM

It is quite a leap of faith to send your equipment out like that for that kind of mod; especially since you are out of the country.

Just makes me realize I need an analog 2 channel room as well as a multichannel sollid state room.

Sounds like you are set for good listening!