DENON 4800/ SURROUND BACK/ROOM SIZE

LouT

I HAVE THE DENON 4800 AND WAS WONDERING HOW TO SET UP THE SURROUND BACK SPEAKERS AND WHICH KLIPSCH SPEAKERS WOULD SOUND BEST...THE OTHER QUESTION I HAVE IS WHETHER OR NOT THE ROOM SIZE PLAYS AN IMPORTANT FACTOR WITH SURROUND BACKS...MY ROOM IS ONLY 16X15 AND WOULD HATE TO BUY THE AMP AND SPEAKERS FOR THE BACK CHANNEL TO FIND OUT THERE IS NO SIGNIFICANT DIFFERENCE IN THE SOUND...DOES ANYONE HAVE EXPERIENCE WITH A SIMILAR SITUATION OR CAN ANYONE SHED SOME LIGHT ON THIS FOR ME? THANKS

RIGHT NOW I HAVE:

AVR4800

KSP-400'S

KLF-20'S

KLF-C7

RS-3'S

Lou,

I have the 4800 in a 18.5' x 24' room. I think your room size will be ok. I have my rear surrounds as in walls, they are not Klipsch. I can't help you there. I am very happy with the whole setup, but not necessarily for how the EX channel sounds today. I am extremely happy with the Dolby Digital sound. Let me explain.

With the right source material the rear surrounds do add significantly to the sound. However, most of the material today does not make very good use of the EX channel. I have 2 source CDs that I think are good. First is the TEX trailer on the Dolby Digital THX EX demo CD. The second is the Little Monsters trailer on Toy Story 2.

All other CDs that I have listen to leave a little to be desired on the EX channel use.

So, if you do buy it now be aware that you are buying it for the future, and not the present.

By the way, the 4800 is an awesome receiver. Only other one I would consider is the 5800. The cost of the 4800 and the Denon POA5200 for the extra 2 channels of amplification are about the same price as the 5800 with all 7 channels.

Also, if you do not have a DVD player yet check out the soon to be released Denon DVD-2800 progressive scan model. My experience with Denon has been excellent, and I will not hesitate to purchase this Denon CD player. Well maybe I will wait for a review or 2, but I am very happy with Denon.

Mike.

Lou-

I have the Denon 4800 and POA-5200 combo teamed up with Klipsch Forte IIs/KV-3 across the front, two pair of KG 1.2s for surround L/R/Center and a Paradigm PW2200. They are in a family room that is 16'x40' with a cathedral ceiling, but they are placed such that my seating area is looking across the shorter dimension, with the Forte's on either side about 8' away from the TV. One pair of the KG 1.5s is placed on speaker stands on either side of the sofa just in front of the main listening area. The second pair are on stands behind the sofa, about 6' apart. I have a love seat perpendicular to the sofa in front of the surround 1.5 and the PW2200 fires towards it (great bass rumbles in that seat!)

Now after all that, I must say I am very impressed with the 5.1 output of the 4800/5200 combo. It fills the room with crystal clear sound with very little effort (love the Klipsch efficiency). I was excited about buying a "future-proof" system and could justify spending the money for it. Had the AVR-5800 been out, I might have thought about that one, but spending the extra $1000 would have been hard.

I just picked up a copy of Toy Story II, so I am interested in how it does with THX-EX, but I haven't had any other DVDs at home yet that have the THX-EX capability. With this limited exposure, I can't conclude that EX is the best thing since sliced bread, but having the extra 2 speakers for 5.1 is quite nice, and it's incredible in 7ch stereo.

My wife, while she enjoys our system, but doesn't share my passion (she thinks the Forte's need some knick-knacks on that horizontal space) had a very interesting experience about a month ago. We were watching X-Men and she was on the love seat and The Frog did his tongue thing from the back left speaker to the front left "over" her head. She nearly freaked out. I just smiled and said "Now you understand my fun?" She does, but still isn't as passionate. The Denon 4800 will do you quite proud!

Mwiener-

Thanks for the heads-up on the DVD-2800. I bought the DVD-2500 in Dec '99 and have been very impressed with its quality. I am not sure if it is progessive scan, so I'll check out the manual. I am a bit fuzzy on the benefits of progressive scan, but I seem to remember that with the "enhanced for widescreen" or "anamorphic" DVDs, mine should support it. Any advice would be great. I had heard that the latest models from Denon, the DVD-1500, etc were a bit lower in quality than the -2500, -3000, and -5000. Any thoughts?

Rob

Rob,

The 2800 is the first try for Denon in the progressive scan arena. The data sheet and owners manual are now on the Denon web site.

The player you have is an interlaced player. First a quick explanation. Video is displayed in 30 frames per second (fps). Interlaced video creates each of the 30 frames by painting 1/2 the image on the screen at a point in time, then painting the other 1/2 of the image on the screen immediately after. So in effect, interlaced is doing 60 fps, it is just that every one of the 60 frames is only 1/2 of the 30 frames per second of a video.

Progressive scan takes the material on the DVD and de interlaces it, and puts the 2 1/2s of the 60 frames back together creating a true 30 frames per second.

The end result is supposed to be a more solid image with less flicker.

Another thing progressive does is 3:2 pulldown. This gets extremely involved, but it has to do with taking the 24 frames per second of films and creating 30 frames per second of video. Almost all of the movies made today are 24 frames per second, so you can see the issues. In an interlaced environment, there are imperfect 1/2 frames created to mask 24 fps to 30 fps conversion. Progressive scan creates correct full frames in the 24fps to 30fps conversion creating a more solid image with less flicker. This is another reason for progressive scan.

Now the down side. Unless you have a DTV that accepts a 480p signal, you can not use progressive scan.

By the way, the Denon uses the same DVDO IScan Pro chip that is used in the external line doubler if you are familiar with that technology.

I can not speak to the other Denon players. I am not familiar with them. I am anxiously waiting for the reviews of the 2800 though.

Mike.

jhawk,EX is just matrix,I use 6.1 on all my DVDs with very good results.

When I had a DIY EX set up I noticed added presence with other than EX stuff.

When I went to a 3801,the EX stuff sounded the same as it did w/the DIY set up.The real pleasure was the dts Neo:6 C.It does an incredible job with Pro Logic.

I sure do wish they would stop all this NEW stuff for a while.It's getting as bad as computers.