Tested the RC-35 for dialogue compared to the RF-3IIs.

Pistol Pete

I have had my Klipsch set up in my sig for a little over a month now and I am overall very happy with the set.

But yesterday I decided to really try and see just how close the RC-35 sounds in comparison to the RF-3IIs as far as dialogue goes by toggling the center on and off I could switch the dialogue from the mains to the center. I also did this by switching between stereo and Dolby Digital. I was pretty surprised just how different they sound. The upper frequencies are similar and there is a certain characteristic that they both share but still these speakers do not sound at all the same for dialogue. I tried some material from actors and actresses that I am pretty familar with as far as how they sound.

The center that is susposed to go with the RF-3IIs is the RC-3II which based on its specs I bet it would sound even less like my RF-3IIs although I have never heard one.

I guess I am not surprised because how could Klipsch possibly make a speaker the size of an RC-35 or RC-3II sound

anything like the huge RF-3IIs?

It makes perfect sence to me now that I have thought about it but it would be nice to have the front 3 speakers the exact same however the only way this could happen is if I went with smaller mains which is something I am not willing to do.

Hi Pete, keep in mind that you compared the RC-35, which I'm assuming sat on top of the tv somewhere, against two RF-3IIs beside the tv. If nothing else, the imaging would sound different already. Even if you had 3 RF-3IIs in the front, comparing 1 versus 2 would sound different. Then there's also the crossovers. Are your RF-3IIs set to large? Is your center set to large too? That will affect how they sound in comparison.

That said, 3 'good' speakers in the front array is always the best match. By good I mean not tiny satelites. That is matching at the expense of quality which is not smart.

I have long felt that my RS-35's don't mix well with my KG5.5's and KV-3. Yesterday I took the time to move the room around to use another set of KG5.5's for surrounds, and positioned the speakers better (blocking the walkway). I watched a couple movies, and was amazed at how much better it sounded. The sound had so much more depth and presence. Watching SW Episode II, space ships flew right through me; before I would hear it behind me, then in front of me. I did change the surrounds from small to large for the day. Then I moved everyting back :(