what would be my next upgrade?

wheelman

I am thinking about upgrading my klipsh's to better klipsch's. And i was wondering what would be the next in line with out breaking the bank. I have the sf-2 and i look at the new rf 25, but they don't play as low as my speakers. I want a stand alone speaker even though i have a sub now. Which by the way it's been awhile since i posted anything i went with a mirage ms 12 sub instead of klipsch just because i got it basically brand new for two hundred dollars on audiogon. Another thing is i traded the sony in and went with the entry onkyo. It is weird having that clean of a sound for that little of a price. I miss the weight and scale of the sony which could of been a coloration of bloated bass but that was nice. Except the high's were tizzy. Now it is clear as a bell with oversized guts high current amps and frame and beam construction. Purchased this for 185 at ecost. It arrived with a bad right channel. I sent it to a repair center and got it back and wow for 65 watts and how clean the power is it was worth the wait. Dts neo is a nice touch and in my opinion is much better than that reverby dolby prologic two. The only bummer is know preamp out for seperate amp. Which i tried with the old sony with an audio source two amp and it sounded awesome, but i wanted something that sounded good without all that equipment. Oh and the sub sounds awesome on movies i watched dreamcatcher and when that bomb went off it felt like someone set off dynamite in the basement. I am waiting on good surrounds because i don't know which upgrade i am doing. Mayby i should keep well enough alone and get the matching surrounds then i would be in business. Sorry about this huge post but i wanted you all to know what was going on. I got to get my system done so i can consentrate on my guitar playing and my guitar rig.I just love music neither one of them will ever be done. I was looking at the rf 35 and the rf 3twos and the rf 15. Check out zakk wylde's new dvd black label society boozed, broozed and broken-boned. Brutal later2.gif

----------------

On 11/24/2003 8:04:31 AM JewishAMerPrince wrote:

A lot has to do with your room size. The SF2s do play a bit lower than the RF25s, but you'll probably never notice the difference if you do proper bass management to your sub. If I were you, I would go for the RF35s or look for a good deal on some RF3s on ebay.

Jerry Rappaport

----------------

Thanks for your input. I usually listen to music without the sub unless i am listening to some seriously heavy stuff my friends bring over. My room it 22 feet wide 12 depth. I sit pretty close to them but they got a lot of room to breathe before they reflect off the side walls. Are the reference that much better in the high's and mid's department? Thank you

I think I am uniquely able give you a direct comparison. I had SF2s in my MBR for about two years and RF3s in the theater room till I upgraded the theater to RF7s and swapped the SF2s for KG 3.5s. The reference series is far more "critical" a speaker than the Synergys. What do I mean by this? What this means is that the speakers are far more accurate and tend to produce all the detail, even the defects in the source material and every piece of equipment in the chain. Some people will say that the Refs are brite, but a lot depends on ones individual ability to hear high frequencies. Others interpret this brightness as having less bass, which is far from the case in the Refs. They are actually stronger in the lows department than the Synergies, but people tend to run them at lower SPL because of the aformentioned "criticality". My solution is just to back the treble down by 2db. This seems to even things out.

I was never really satisfied with the SF2s. I think that they were designed to fill a specific market niche and are not among the best that Klipsh has offered. That is why I unloaded mine in favor of a pair of KG 3.5s that I run in conjunction with a sub (crossing over at about 60hz slope)for primarily music listening in my MBR. The KGs are a sweet sounding speaker, quite different than either the Synergies or the smaller References. You might check ebay or audiogon for KG 3.5s or better 4.5s and if you are luckey 5.5s. Some really nice oes show up frequently and sometimes even NIB at great prices. That would really suit both you listening requirements and your pocketbook.

JR

Thanks and i thought the sf-2 was critical showing off all my junky equipment. Speaking of the devil i saw some kg-3 speakers for sale on ebay. I thik they were like only two feet tall in a nice lighter wood finish. With an eight in speaker and ten inch passive. But i may want a slimmer tower. I have a chance to get rid of mine down the road in a little while. Know even knows what klipsch is around here. I played zeps new dvd to a friend and he said that is the best he has ever heard led zeppelin sound. I said yeah that's a great recording but the speakers have alot to do with it.

Yes, you may be part of that niche. You like good sound but are on a tight budget. You may not be quite as fanatic as most of us here with achieving the ultimate. But, not to worry, the bug will catch you sooner or later. However, more discriptly, the niche I referred to is a price and volume (quantity) niche to compete with the likes of Polk, Bose, JBL, Infinity, etc. in a consumer environment. This is manifest in the recent decision by Klipsch to market the Synergy series almost exclusively through Best Buy...right alongside the aforementioned competition. The Synergies have become the "high end" line at BB. The SFs are not a "bad" speaker by any stretch of the imagination, just not in the same league with the References, and other classic Klipsch speaker lines.

JR

Oh i got the bug all right. It's just that i got two bugs i got hometheater with good stereo and i have the guitar and amp bug. I wonder if the sf-2 were any good before they were sold at best buy. After all i did purchase them before this happened. Now it's like they got a scarlett letter on them unable to be forgived. No one has love for the synergy line? I'll have to think hard about this one because of all the bass i will be missing in my price range. I don't use a sub for critical listening which is all the time unless i put in a dvd concert then most the time i'll watch it in pcm with sub. I have know way of listening to the references so thinks for your input. Mayby i'll just save up and get some rf-35 or rf-5. In the long run it'll probabally be worth it. I am addicted to klipsch for music but movies on regular tv seem a little squashed in the soundstage department their not that wide of a soundstage. They have great depth and imaging. Dynamics are outstanding. Of course the reason being on regular tv they reveal all the bad channels sounds. I put in a dvd and i am pretty happy with them. My brother has athenas and they soundstage for miles upon miles. They are great speakers but they are not as dynamic which in the long run is more inportant to me than their huge soundstage. He comes over and he has the same amp and he is like holy cow i'd have to crank my amp all the way up to get it that loud. So he's going to by the reference rf 35 and a nad amp (that lucky little son of a b***h). Acually then i'll be able to hear them. Do the reference have a bigger soundstage? It would seem the larger the horn the larger the soundstage. I don't know. They were selling a few kg-4 speakers on ebay. Who knows if they work though.