My Promedia 4.1 sub is louder than my RW-10

glennbarn

I just bought an RW-10 and connected it to my Harman Kardon AVR 525 pre-amp subwoofer output and it doesn't seem to be as loud as I think it should be, even at full volume.

I connected this to the LFE input of the sub. I'm using a normal RCA - RCA connector. Is there something that I missed ?

Any feedback would appreciated. Thanks.

you cant expect much from a smallish 10-inch sub, 12" is the only way to go.

and i doubt your 4.1 sub is louder, i have a 4.1 system and that thing belts out NOTHING.

btw, try fidlding with the crossover freqs of your sub. if you set the cutoff to be too low, little output is produced by the subwoofer. try setting the cut off to about 100hz - you should hear a massive difference. if the sub becomes too boomy for your taste, lower it to about 80hz.

Use a Y adaptor and run the sub signal into both the Left and Right input on the sub. This will increase the output level 6 dB. We've found some amps have very low output voltage and need this help. You can even use two Y adaptors and go into Left, Right AND LFE. Few amps have such low output voltage that this would be needed.

Thanks Pinipig523, I've done that too. I'm beginning to believe that the pre-out on my AVR 525 are sending very weak signals to the sub.

I tried hooking my Promedia 4.1 to the pre-out and I have to increase the volume to near 50% to get some decent sound from them. Connected to my MP3 player, the PM4.1 would have been too loud already at that volume. All this after boosting it with +10db for each channel.

Pinipig523, is your log-in name by chance derived from a Filipino rice ?

BobG, your suggestion did increase the volume a bit, thanks!

filipino rice? yeah! how'd u know?

i bet most people think its related to somethin-PIG... hehehe..

i dont know man, im fresh out of ideas for your sub - sorry. if making sure bass is being allocated to your subwoofer, fiddling with the frequency cut offs doesnt do it... hmm..

maybe check the connections on the subwoofer and see if they are set correctly. i dont have the rw10 but does it have 2 coaxial inputs? if so, have you tried connecting the sub-out to the two inputs via a y-connector?