Powered sub and tube amp...

Shock-Late

I'm planning to buy an integrated tube amp. But, as I'm using LaScalas, i was wondering about the possibility to connect a powered sub to the speaker-level outputs of a little tube amp, since this last one uses output transformers, wich are for 8 OR 4 ohms, and what's more those output transformers often have a limited bandwith in the bass frequencies, so the signal sended to the sub would be also "short" in the very low frequencies?

thanks!

shock, depends on the sub, but most have very high impedance on their inputs. like 32ohms for mine.

------------------

Klipsch KLF 30 (front), KLF C-7, Cornwall I (rear)

Velodyne HGS-18 sub woofer

Monsterbass 400 sub interconnects & Monster CX-2 biwire & Z-12 cable

Marantz SR-8000 receiver

Sony DVP-C650D cd/dvd player

Sony Trinitron 27" stereo tv

Toshiba hi-fi stereo vcr

Technics dual cassette deck

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2000 digital cable box

Boa's Listenin Lounge:

Klipsch RF-3 (front), RC-3, cheap little Technics (rear)

Monster MCX Biwires

Sony STR-DE935 a/v receiver

Kenwood KR-9600 AM/FM stereo receiver (vintage 1975)

Russound AB-2 receiver switch to RF-3

Teac PD-D1200 5-disk cd changer

Technics direct drive turntable

Sega Genesis game player

Sub: None yet

rock on!

• 1 month later...

I connect my REL Strata II to the speaker output terminals of my 300B SET 11 Watt amps. No problems, sounds great, blends nicely with the La Scalas. I do think the speaker line inputs of the sub need to be a high impedance load.

drobo

Shock,

Yep, it'll be fine. The bandwidth limiting on the tube amp is primarily due to the output transformers inability to deliver large amounts of CURRENT to low frequencies / low impedence loads - here, low impedence being less than 10 times the output impedence of the amp, more or less... so, if the tube amp has an output impedence of, say, 1.5 ohms (which would be a pretty good tube amp), and the impedence of the speakers in the bass is less than 15 ohms or so, you're going to see a restricted output.

The impedence of the power subwoofer's speaker level inputs is VERY, VERY HIGH. The amp will be "showing" a voltage to the sub, but delivering virtually 0 current. A bonus - by using the speaker level sub inputs, whatever the "sonic signature" of the amp might be will be carried over to the subwoofer, which usually results in superior blending between sub and mains.

I have La Scalas and an REL Storm, and though I'm using a little bitty solid state integrated right now (for reasons I won't bore you with), I have in the past had it hooked up to Jolida 502 series amps, among others, and it worked fine.

Ray

------------------

Music is art

Audio is engineering