Extra 54L enclosure

swissy

I am making an 85L Vented enclosure to go with my DPL12. This will probably replace the 54L because I can just plug the port if I do not like the vented application and Ill have a nice 85L sealed box. So what do I do with the 54L? I have no use for a sub anywhere else.

Maybe put a Shiva in the 54L and put it in the same room? Would it be hard to get them to sound good together since they are different sizes and the 85L will probably stay ported?

Would I have enough power in the 250W plate amp to run both?

How about a 54L sealed DPL12...makes sense to me. You can't run the two subs off the same amp unless you wire them for an 8 ohm load, then the total output will be ~180 watts which means each woofer is getting 90W. I highly suggest getting a second amp. Check out the 250W MCM plate amp, I got it for ~$100 shipped. I don't know how long the free shipping is going to last though.

Frankie-

Thanks for the reply. You are always a big help.

I just took the DPL12 out of the 54L because I was recommended, and rightly so, by Dan at Adire that a Vented Adire Alignment would help with the low end in HT. This is a 90% HT installation. I would hate to waste the 54L box. It was just a prototype, but it turned out pretty well and I could easily finish it.

I know two 54Ls would be nice, I just want to feel the power of a vented 85L. The 85L is a definite because I want to experiment with the difference in sound and what a lower Q will do for my system.

About the amp:

I am over budget on the HT makeover as is. I just finished up front and the sub and Im still in need of new rears. This $100 is a great deal, I just cannot swing it now. Perhaps, finding out which box I like best and make an identical one next year is the way to go.

Or even better, buy an equalizer