ProMedia DD-5.1 + Promedia 4.1 speakers for DVD player in home theater?

jitterboogie

I have the analog Promedia 4.1 speaker system that I've been using with my computer and I'd love to not have to use my computer to watch DVDs, but rather be able use a regular DVD player and play the sound accurately through my Promedia 4.1 speakers (also use those speakers for my home sound system - ie. disconnect them from the computer entirely).

Question: will the ProMedia DD-5.1 decoder make this possible? If so, have any suggestions as to where is a good place to get one at the best price?

Question 2: would a DVD player with a decoder built-in negate the need for the DD-5.1? I just purchased this DVD/CD player and it has a decoder built in. I suspect this setup will make it harder to play my MP3 player through the system and the DD-5.1 would make this easier. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

• 7 months later...

I'm not sure about your second question, but I've looked into getting a DD-5.1 also. As far as I know it's not for sale anywhere (you can find a used one occasionally on eBay, but it's pretty rare). I contacted Klipsch and was told a new version will only be released in 4-6 months or more. The Creative Extigy and DDTS-100 will connect to your DVD player also and work as a stand-alone unit, you could look into those until the new Klipsch decoder comes out. I have an Audigy 2 NX, and according to Klipsch I can connect it to my XBOX (or anything with a digital in) and it will work also, but only if it is plugged into the computer at the same time. The Extigy and Audigy don't have DTS decoding though, so that's something to keep in mind.