Mr. artto

gunman45

Gunman, Im curious why you have a bass build-up in that particular corner, especially considering the adjacent wall is open to the next room. Possibly the best solution is to simply move the subwoofer.

The acoustical wall panels youve mentioned made by Acoustical Solutions are not broadband absorption devices. Theyre not thick enough. If you look at their data sheet, even the 2 4x10 (largest panel available) youll notice that the NRC (Noise Reduction Coefficient) (absorption) rating is 1.00 at 250Hz & less than half of that at 125Hz. These devices are primarily intended for taming midrange flutter echo & reverberation. They arent really bass traps (broadband) absorption devices. You really need something thicker, denser.

You might want to try using corner bass traps along the horizontal corner (wall ceiling intersection). These can be quite effective in horizontal corners given enough length. Theyre 12 deep. Made to fit in a corner (where the bass piles up most). And in a horizontal corner, would not take up any floor space. According to Acoustical Solutions data sheet & testing methods, their foam 4 corner bass traps have more than 8 times better absorption at 125Hz than their wall panels. And I bet they absorb better at lower frequencies too.

Welcome to the Forum!

especially considering the adjacent wall is open to the next room. Possibly the best solution is to simply move the subwoofer.

Artto, thank you for the reply.

My drawing may be a little misleading. The two rear surrounds are actually sitting on an upright piano and that open area is behind the piano and starts at a point 51 off of the floor and extends to a point just below the ceiling and is more of a window.

I see what you mean by not broadband absorption and I really dont have an echo issue; the room is pretty dead.

On moving the sub what would be your suggestion? I originally positioned it behind the couch just ahead of that small 45 degree corner where it lacked definition. Then I tried the opposite 45 degree corner with essentially the same results.

I think my biggest issue may be the wife. Horizontal traps my not sit well with her (may?) but I may try to switch positions of the sub and wall unit.

This link might help you out with the subwoofer placement. They have some software to help pre-determine placement. But be aware that the angled walls & openings in your space make things much more difficult to "predict". I believe Forum member "The Ear" is the resident subwoofer expert. You might want to seek out his advice. He's often in the General Questions topic area.

Personally, I've never cared much for subs. They always seem to sound bloated and boomy to me. Difficult to match up the voicing with high efficiency speakers like the Klipsch Heritage series (which is what I use). But subs seem to be a necessary evil in HT which often requires exaggerated sound.

http://www.etfacoustic.com/modes.html