Advise on new sound card please...

pzs22

Hello.

I have some money to burn (my birthday is on tesday and I already have some cash) and I have been wanting to upgrade my sound card for some time now. Right now I have a SB Live! 5.1. I have been having problem of late with it in WinXP, and would like to upgrade. I am using Klipsch Pro Media 5.1's as my speakers. The machine is mainly used as a music, gaming, and dvd machine. I guess you could say its an all around multi media machine.

I have narrowed my choices down to:

Sound Blaster® Audigy® 2 ZS Platinum

-OR-

Sound Blaster® Audigy® 2 ZS Platinum Pro

Seems (to me) that the only difference between the two is the ASIO 2.0 Low Latency Multi-Track Recording Support (24-bit/96kHz).

Is that really the only difference between the 2 cards? And, which do you reccomend I get?? I do not do much recording, but my brother just got a new guitar (acoustic electric) so he may want to record some stuff. Is the pro worth the extra money? Let me know what you think... any insight would be wonderful.

Thanks.

A word of caution about Audigy 2 cards, all of them. The wonderful upsampling specs only pertain to the digital domain (digital outputs).

If you use the analog outputs to go to a reciever or amp, guess what? It's good, but not much better than the old 16 bit SB live.

The new software to control the card is a fragmented mess. There are 10-15 programs, and they only make sense once you've spent a couple of hours analyzing them.

I actually like the performance and can use the SW pretty well now. But don't think your PC is going to become an audiophile device using the Audigy analog outputs.

The specialties of Audigy are DVD audio and 5.1, 6.1, and 7.1 audio and gaming. Plain old analog is treated like just that.