SVS CS Ultra or PB2+?

JamesDL

I've been looking at subs for a while now, and was originally considering the SVS 20-39 PC+ but recently decided to up my budget and go for either the CS-Ultra package or the PB2+. What is the difference between these two subs? I currently have RB-75's as my mains, and an HK 525 reciever.

My room is 15 feet wide, and about 35 feet long. However, I will be moving next year to an apartment of as of yet unspecified dimensions.

Thanks

James

----------------

On 12/15/2003 7:47:07 PM JamesDL wrote:

I've been looking at subs for a while now, and was originally considering the SVS 20-39 PC+ but recently decided to up my budget and go for either the CS-Ultra package or the PB2+. What is the difference between these two subs? I currently have RB-75's as my mains, and an HK 525 reciever.

My room is 15 feet wide, and about 35 feet long. However, I will be moving next year to an apartment of as of yet unspecified dimensions.

Thanks

James
----------------

Assuming 8' ceilings your room is big(over 4000 cu ft), I would I'd go for the PB2-Plus over a single CS Ultra. The difference I heard between a single 20-39CS Plus and a single CS Ultra was only apparent when I was pushing the CS Plus near it's limits. With dual dB-12 drivers vs the single TV-12 for around same price it's a tough choice but given that we own Klipsch here says something about our listening habits(meaning you probably like to crank it up2.gif). The PB2-Plus is going to have more clean output >25Hz and it will also add an adjustable subsonic filter and variable phase, I think that would be my choice given that it's also $100 cheaper.

If the PB2 is louder and less expensive, what are any advantages to the Ultra? Is it more musical or accurate? I listen almost exclusively to music, but enjoy movies every once in a while, and I do like it loud, usually around 100 db (I try to be careful with my ears though...). However, I would rather choose a better quality sound than a few db's of loudness, so is the PB2 still superior in this regard?

Thanks,

James

----------------

On 12/17/2003 10:12:37 AM JamesDL wrote:

If the PB2 is louder and less expensive, what are any advantages to the Ultra? Is it more musical or accurate? I listen almost exclusively to music, but enjoy movies every once in a while, and I do like it loud, usually around 100 db (I try to be careful with my ears though...). However, I would rather choose a better quality sound than a few db's of loudness, so is the PB2 still superior in this regard?

Thanks,

James
----------------

I compared a single 20-39CS Plus(same woofer in the PB2 Plus ) to a single CS Ultra(w/TV12) in my system and it gives you a perfect example of the law of diminishing returns. The CS Ultra is the best subwoofer I know of if you want the most output with a small footprint. There was only an audible difference between the two when I was deliberately pushing the 20-39CS Plus' limits with demanding material, on most material they sounded essentially the same. When pushed to the limits the Ultra handles complex passages with an authorative ease, but these were levels past 115dB at the seating position so on most material there wasn't much of a difference. To get about 1-2dB more clean output I had to pay ~40% more, at the time I just wanted to hear the TV-12 driver but if I had to do it over again I think should have just gone for dual 20-39CS Plus. If both subs are in their stock tune, 20Hz for the Ultra and 25Hz for the PB2 Plus, the PB2 Plus will roll off sooner but it will still hold the advantage in clean output.

----------------

On 12/17/2003 9:15:43 PM JamesDL wrote:

Thanks for your input, Frank - looks like I will probably go for the PB2+. I think I like the polymer finish over the fabric covering, so that works out.

Thanks again,

James
----------------

No problem James.

I did a little searching on the subject because I know TV's answered this before. Here's his response on the the subs:

"(with both set to 20hz extension)The PB-2+ will have a 4-5dB edge on the single Ultra in the 25-100hz range. In the 16-25hz range it would be a lot closer...with the PB-2+ still holding a slight advantage.

So dual PB-2+ models would have a 8-10dB edge over the single Ultra from 25hz and up...or about the same clean output as 3 Ultras."

Also, the preorder on the PB2 Ultra and PB1 Plus is suppossed to start this week. The PB2 Ultra is going to be similar in size to the PB2 Plus but it will house tw of the TV-1's(the CS Ultra/SS woofer). SVS mentioned something about a built in parametric eq but they said it wasn't for certain, it will also be offered 5 different finishes. The final price hasn't been released yet but the target was somewhere around $2k.

Guest Anonymous

----------------

On 12/18/2003 1:45:20 PM JamesDL wrote:

hm... If I save up for a few more months I could get the PB2-Ultra... I don't know if I can wait that long though...
;)

If I have a bar in my room, should I worry about shattering glasses when the sub is playing loud?
----------------

JamesDL,

Just be real carful not to have your glasses TOO close to the edge, the subs send ound VIBRATIONS, I know cause I use the B4-plus, Heavy duty shaken goin on2.gif6.gif

Smilin

BTW any all are GREAT