Which rear speakers for use with RF-3s?

Fountain Pen Mike

I'm setting up a home theater system. My front pair of speakers are the Klipsch RF-3's.

The RS-3's seem to be the "officially recommended" choice for rear speakers.

I have an irrational bias against small speakers, as a result of my attitudes having been shaped in the old days when dinosaurs roamed the Earth and small speakers generally sucked. (And don't get me started on zoom lenses for my 35 SLR.)

Consequently, I'd rather like to buy another pair of RF-3's, and use them as the rear pair of speakers. It occurs to me that nothing could match my front pair of RF-3's better than could a rear pair of RF-3's. Right?

What, precisely, would be the the advantages and disadvantages of opting for another pair of RF-3's, instead of a pair of RS-3's?

Assume that the price difference between these two speakers is irrelevant, and that I have sufficient space in my home theater room to accomodate the larger RF-3's without any problem.

Thanks.

To go with the RF-3 in the rear would be great. I assume you have the RC-3 as a center. If you do not have the room, you can also go with the RB-5 (bookshelf). This speaker has the exact same horn as the RF-3. Instead of 2 woofers, it only has one. If you have the money and room, go with the RF-3 in both. If money is not a main concern, you could go with a pair of the RP models for the fronts (they have powered subs built in) and use the RF-3s for the rear.

FYI If I had the money and room that is what I would do.

------------------

Sony Trinitron 27" TV

Yamaha RX-V1000

JVC HR-S3800 Super VHS VCR

Sony DVP-S530D DVD Player

Sony Tape

Sony CDP-CE345 Cd player

RF-3

RC-3

Synergy Rear surounds

Fountain ,

You are right, the only speakers that would match are the RF-3's. It is just not only great for movie but also for 5ch stereo. But you have to be able to put them well behind the listening position.

For the center also an RF-3 if it was feasable to put it invisible in front of the screen. Smile.gif

Maybe you should wait for the RC-7 and compare it with the RC-3 in your system. RC-7 looks a good match for the RF-3's. About the sound ??? When it is at my local dealer I'll get one for auditioning it in my system.

------------------

-------------------------

Receiver: Onkyo 676

DVD: Pioneer DV-525

Screen: Thomson 46" RetroProjection

Front: RF-3's

Rear: RF-3's

Center: RC-3

When using a speaker such as RF-3 or RB-5 as rears, you'll get a less enveloping rear sound field as compared with using RS-3 surrounds. If you sit far from the rears or aim the rears so they reflect off the walls, you can enhance envelopment but at the expense of accurate localization.

If you find the bass in RS-3's insufficient, then check out the new RS-7's which plumb deeper into bass than virtually any surround on the market and match the deep bass of most mains. Not cheap but a great solution.

FPM - Some HT receivers permit separate pairs of rear speakers, one for HT and one for music. Does yours? The ideal would be another set of RF-3s for the rear for music, and a set of RS-3 for rears for HT. That would give you the directionality and control for 5 channel stereo, and also the wide-dispersion that you want for HT.

Doug