Need Matching Advice for Quartet HT

engeng

I have a pair of Quartet's that I'm very happy with and want to expand to 5.1 HT. I purchased a Harmon Kardon AVR520 and JBL Center Channel HT4H (don't scold, I was told by audiophile friend it was a good match and the price was good) in the last year...What subwoofer and surrounds would complete this set? The room is a carpeted 22x22 with 35ft ceiling and open to rest of house on one side (wood floors elsewhere - very "alive"). I found some RS3II's "new" on ebay that looked like might do the trick - except sensitivity is much lower at 95 dB vs Quartet's of 97.5 dB. My HK is capable of compensating....is this a close match?

engeng,

Just an Idea, for the money- get More Quartets to complete your system. Seems like you have the room, and getting used Quartets would make you money ahead..........

As far as Subwoofers go, alot of folks like SVS, but just go down to the Subwoofer section and research for yourself..........plenty of Ideas.

Check out Member the Ears comments on Subs..........he seems to be the resident expert!

Engeng - So, have you listened to the JBL center speaker with your Quartet mains? How do you like - is it a good match?

Are you open/able to put full size speakers in the rear? If so, another pair of Quartets. Or, buy a pair of Forte's and use them for the front and move the Quartets to the rear. Or, buy 2 pairs of Quartets and use one pair for front/rear center and one pair for rear surrounds.

If not, you'll probably be OK with RS-3s for the rears. Depends how much rear-channel action your viewing/listening habits involve. Just movie surround effects? Probably be ok. 5-channel sound (like DVD-A, SACD, or DTS music discs), it probably won't be so great.

Thanks for the reply - I've seen other postings with regard to HT and the classic speaker lines - recommending to get "more-of" which I'd consider. However, floorspace is at a premium due to rug rats/legos/building blocks etc. Also, I've got built in speaker shelves that would hold the surrounds or bookshelf if small enough...

As for the JBL center w/Quartets - not thrilled with results. The JBL sounds "flat" to me in the mid range. Rather like the TV speakers...eventually I'll probably upgrade and go Klipsch there also. Just for grins I hooked up some Bose 101's that I got with the house on the existing shelves to experience the surround effect and it got me hooked!