Turntable update.....

rowooo

It's finally over....I gave up on my old Bang@Olufsen table due to a number of reasons that I won't get in to right now. Last weekend I went and bought a Music Hall MMF-5. Love it so far, but I haven't really had the opportunity to sit and listen for any extended amount of time. The thick glass platter looks awesome on my stereo rack. I will be doing a lot of comparisons later this week on just how well this table sounds against my Adcom C.D. player. Obviously the sound will be different but that doesn't nessasarily mean better, I'll just have to wait and see. Also, my favorite sales guy loaned me out a pair of 700.00 speaker cables. I know, I know, I know, I have been somewhat of critic of high priced speaker wire but this is going to be my chance to hear what benefits, if any, speaker cable in this price range can make. One things for sure, the looks of this cable are beautiful. I almost want to skip hooking them up and just hang them on the wall. I will let you all know how they fare with my exsisting wire which is much, much, cheaper. Later....

• 1 month later...

Well, which cables did your dealer lend you?

Did you notice a difference?

I certainly did, going from that stranded copper, pinkish Monster cable (separate lengths bi-wired to RF-3's) to bi-wire-braided Kimber 8TC.

------------------

May the bridges we burn light our way....

Prana-Bindu.......The cables are an 8ft pair of Transparent Audio's. I have notice a slight decrease in noise, which gives more of a spacious presence and makes those silences in music really magical. I really like the cables but they are difficult to work with and I just can't justify the price. I have heard good things about Kimber and will be looking into them. How much did those 8tc run you? Were you able to listen to them first? I don't know of anyplace in Eastern Nebraska that carries them so I'll have to see if I can get some kind of keep them if I like them deal of the net. My epic's can't be bi-wired so that make purchasing cables a little easier and cheaper...later

Hi rowoo,

You might consider MIT Terminator 2s. I have them on my KLF20s (the biwire version, but they make single versions too), and definitely noticed an improvement in imaging and weight, though only after some lengthy break in.

AudioAdvisor.com is dumping the stuff (presumably because it's being replaced?). I think 8 foot pairs are under $200 now, may be under $150. And they have a 30 day no questions asked return policy.

--JoshT

Rowoo: Audioquest -- $216 for 6ft pair (not bi-wired) and $272 for an 8ft pair. Well worth it, but it doesn't seem right to pay that much for #@$%ing speaker wire.

Let me guess: you got the transparent at Sound Environment? I've heard nothing but wonderful things about Transparent, but I've never had the opportunity to audition in my system.

Audioquest's 30-day audition period is a nice deal. Good luck, and welcome to the Snake Oil brotherhood....

------------------

May the bridges we burn light our way....

Yep...Sound Environment. I've spent a lot of money there. All my interconnects are Transparent and I just love them. When I made that first initial swap, switching from some older Esoteric audio cables to a pair of Transparents between my preamp and amp, I couldn't believe it. In no way did you have to strain to hear a difference, it was totally right there in front of you. Went back a month or so later and did the same for my C.D. player. I might have to try those Kimbers. I do like the looks of them and have heard they make a pretty neutral cable. I'll let ya know..