HD DirecTV

rpittman

Is anybody using HD DirecTV? I'm curious about the set-up, now that prices are coming down. I noticed the dishes have a triple LNB. Do the dishes have three coax connections, or can I get by with two? When we built, I only ran dual-lead coax to all my TV drops, so I'm wondering if I'll have to run another coax, which would be a major PITA.

Thanks for your help.

You only need one cable to your hd box. You need a triple LNB dish so you can get all three sat. You need the 110 for HD. There is a built in multiswitch that swithches between the lnb for differnt channels. You can have four receivers running with the on dish with out a extra multiswitch. HD is great and well worth the money.

If you want tivo the new hdtivo will be out in a couple of months. Tivo boxes you need two lines into the box because it has two tunners in it. This lets you record one show and watch another one at the same time.

If you have any more questions just ask me I know tons about this stuff and have been using it for a long time now.

----------------

On 12/26/2003 3:17:32 PM rpittman wrote:

Is anybody using HD DirecTV? I'm curious about the set-up, now that prices are coming down. I noticed the dishes have a triple LNB. Do the dishes have three coax connections, or can I get by with two? When we built, I only ran dual-lead coax to all my TV drops, so I'm wondering if I'll have to run another coax, which would be a major PITA.

Thanks for your help.

----------------

As Easylistener said, the triple LNB has 4 outputs from it's built-in multiswitch that will connect up to 4 standard sat receivers. And it is also true that you need 2 lines for the tivo unit if you wish to take advantage of the 2 tuners. One thing that I suggest to my customers is to add a powered 5 in/8 out multiswitch to the setup. #1 reason is to be able to add a HDTV antenna to the system and #2 reason is to have enough outputs (from dish) for upgrades (tivo) etc. With all the new customer deals out there (3 X FREE), spend a little extra money and get it wired right the first time. And if you can, use a local DirecTV guy.

P.S. 2 drops to each TV is a great idea.... 1.gif