cylinder versus box subs

slider908

i've been looking at subs for a while and was wondering what are the pro and cons of SVS's SS sub compared to the B4 plus? how do cylinders compare to cube subs overall.

also how do you think the b4 plus to velodynes servo 18 inch monster. when the ports are plugged on the B4 does it have the exact transient response as a sealed sub. What kind of effieciency does it have. would i need a high power amp to bring out the best in the b4

i'm debating over servo woofers or SVS. i admit i am beggining to sway towards SVS especially after i saw their new prototype driver.

thanks for the help,

john

Cylinder or cube or sphere as long s all three are inert and have the same internal NET volume the result will be the same to your ears.

We are talking about very low frequency here,and shape does not matter if structural integrity is correct.No cabinet ringing,cabinet flexing almost elininated.

As for the Velodynge HGS18 VS the B4-Plus,the choice is clear if maximum output is desired,the P4-Plus.

If mximum quality is desired I belive the HGS18 will best the B4-Plus,and have lower distortion down the nether regions.Servo control reduces distortion to extreme low levels classic designs fail to match.

But the question is is the B4-Plus distortion that high as to be audible,I think not.Its among the best in non servo controlled subs.Just use an amp with a very high damping factor and you should be A ok even as tightness goes.

The new Velodyne DigitalDrive subs are one step above all this,they have a built in computer to analyze the output and compensate(even out)room (gain,dips).Now we are talking serious subwoofing.With this latest system your no longer have nasty peaks or dips in frequency.A great idea buy you pay mucho $$$$ for it.

I may buy one small DigitalDrive 10 or 12 Velo just to use it to tune all my other subs.The technology comes directly from the flagship Velodyne 1812.