So whilst I was away for Xmas in Manchester....

maxg

I left me house, dogs and stereo in the hands of my best friend Tony.

I have mentioned Tony many times on this forum, as it was he who introduced me to audiophilia and has oftentimes been a mentor and guide. Whilst we have, over the years, watched our systems drift further and further apart I have always valued his input and opinion on my sound.

He has, largely trod the road approved by high end audiophiles the world over with big SS amps and Quad 989 speakers mated to a very high end TT (acoustic solid "machine" with RB250 arm (fully modified) and the Shelter 901 - all connected together with some very expensive cabling whilst I have gone my own Magyver-esque route.

Anyway I handed over the keys to the house and setup the system for DVD playback so he could watch some movies. I didnt bother to explain how to switch over to the vinyl rig as he expressed no desire to hear it.

A couple of days later he calls and asks how to switch - so I talk him through it over the phone (its not that difficult - as long as you know the input selector is on the back of the pre-amp between the 2 inputs) and leave him to it.

Then the SMS messages start as follows:

"Well...ahem...hold on. This is a big one...either my personality has changed in the army or for the first time in my life I have been taken by classical on your system. On the Quads it was sheer depth but the warmth of the instruments coming through (your) speakers is something to believe. Now I believe in Santa. If I can believe in Classical then Santa does exist."

I wrote back thanking him for the commments and asking if he was actally saying he prefered classical on my system over his. He replied:

"you know how hard I am on your system and why - cus you are a cheap b***h but the truth must shine!"

Quite made my day. He then sent various other messages warning of the danger that my system might be stolen whilst I was away and so on...all nice stuff to hear (lol). He even managed (after 4 days) to switch to listening to other things aside from classical and seemed to love that too.

The bottom line on all this is that he now thinks it would be stupid to even try to upgrade the TT. I should say he was highly dubious over my removal of the power supply stating I was wasting my time trying to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. So nice to see a bit of humble pie eating after that...

Therefore - the RPM 4 stays for the forseeable future and I am one happy bunny, not just because tony says its good but because I thought it was and it is so nice to see one of the system's biggest detractors agree. There are times when listening to my system that I wonder how much "sweet lemon" I am pouring over what I hear (I am that kind of guy generally). At least I now know that even if it is sweet lemon I am not the only one that hears it.

Just thought I would share..

That's great to be able to get another ear's extended opinion. Weren't you and your wife toying with the B&B idea? I'd say you tie the Inn concept somehow to the "system review" gig. People drag their amps 'n' things to your Greek oasis, and while they're out enjoying the local color, Tony's back in their room, listening, taking copious notes, rubbing his chin, etc. The kids will be out playing on the giant vacuum tube play structure Clipped & Shorn described in an earlier post (or, was it a roller coaster, where you're the electron?).

What did he think of the dogs?

cheers fini,

Tony loves the dogs - he has known them since they were pups and they love him (he takes them to the mountains to run for hours and hours...).

I was toying with the idea of a B&B sometime ago and am now in the process of building 16 houses on a Greek Island, but we are hoping to sell those rather than rent them - its been something of a drain on capital...

I did express the idea of an audiophile holiday scheme on her a couple of years ago but everyone thought it was a non starter.

Tony, however, is available for listening sessions, weddings and barmitzvahs....