amp/pre-amp questions

gerbache

Now that I have a pretty decent set of sources and speakers, it's time to look to getting a better amplifier than the dying receiver I'm using now. I've been eyeing one of the vintage integrated amps for a while now to be a pet project for fixing up (I'm in electrical engineering at a university, so I'm pretty familiar with a soldering iron and have access to some pretty spiffy equipment).

The trouble with this idea is that I'm considering looking to upgrade to a multi-channel SACD setup in the future, since I'd like to upgrade to Cornwalls or La Scalas anyway, kicking the Heresies to surround duties. I'm not sure that I want to get an integrated setup with no options of expansion in the future.

Instead of an integrated, I was thinking of getting into separates and trying to find a decently priced pre/power amp setup. The other option I was thinking would be to simply get a fairly high end a/v type receiver, but I'm concerned that this will prove unsuitable for my current, two channel setup. I wish I could afford having separate setups for stereo and surround, but on a student's budget, I'm scrimping to be able to afford this stuff at all. Speaking of, my total budget for this new amplifier setup is going to be somewhere under a thousand, preferably more like $600-$800 if at all possible, and I'm fully willing to go used. I've already been thinking about getting something along the lines of a Conrad Johnson PV10, which seems to go on Audiogon fairly frequently, and some sort of poweramp, but I wouldn't know exactly what would be a good bet in that department.

I just haven't had very good luck mixing two-channel listening with surround. I understand the tight budget, but I'd choose one or the other and work on that for a while.

What I found was that I simply didn't need the same volume in my HT system as with my two-channel, so as I started to build a HT system off my two-channel, I ended up spending big money trying to make all the pieces of the HT system keep up with my two-channel. In the end, I had a huge HT system that was barely being turned up when we occasionally watched movies, and the sound quality of my two-channel system suffered. JMO, but I'd keep em separate.

Greg