v.2-400 Upgrade to 5.1

with that, you would be buying a 1.1 system... that would work but be ummm, stupid. See, you would have a 160 watt sub with four channels and a 200 watt sub with only 1 channel. How could your balance that? It would be cool, but looks like it isnot ever going to happen. Besides, the changes in teh 5.1 system are beyond more power and center channel. The wriing is changed (not jmust on the inside), better crossover (more midrange) and the speakers are different in tehir own way. I must admit that i wish i could do that iwth my v2.400's but i don't have to worry about it. I will be getting the new ones as soon as they are out. Good luck... try selling those on eBay and get the new ones, i know you will ose money, but hell, you will enjoy it.

------------------

-justin

http://www.fortunecity.com/campus/berry/88/

Actually, from a technical standpoint there really are none of the issues Justin suggests and it would be quite easy to upgrade from the v.2-400 or 4.1 to the equivalent of the new 5.1. Simply use the old satellites with the new sub, center and control module (dump the old sub and control pod, recycle them with some other speakers, or whatever). This is because internally the 4.1 satellites are identical to the 5.1 satellites - and the v.2-400 satellites only differ with respect to the crossovers, so they are functionally interchangable.

The old satellites would obviously have to continue to use wires with mini-jacks at the speaker end (unless you wanted to do some modifications, of course), unlike the 5.1, which uses spring-clips, but I don't think this would be problem for the vast majority of potential upgraders (some people have had issues with them, but most are quite happy).

The prospect of an upgrade package becoming a reality seems pretty bleak at this point, however, and depends on whether Klipsh deems it practicle to produce such a product, assuming there would be sufficient demand, and of course the cost. Please see the discussion on this topic in the 4.1 section.

Fortunately, Kipsch is a company that listens, so perhaps if enough v.2-400 and 4.1 owners express interest...

from what i understood from him, he would want a new sub and center channel and keep the old setup. have two subs and 5 satelites. if you wanted to you could buy the sub and center channel and just get rid of the CP-1 and the old sub, but what a waste. while you are at it, why not just get a y connecter and use two subs. that system would rock... now that i think of it. but the crossover in teh satelites is new, even newer than teh 4.1's. the sub ranges hae been raised to take less of the base from teh satelites, there may be some problems using old sats. with new crossover.

------------------

-justin

http://www.fortunecity.com/campus/berry/88/

Hey that would work right? If you just need to buy the center channel, the new sub with amp, the new control module and maybe some wiring, it could all be setup. How much would Klipsch charge for this? If they charged $200-$250 it would be reasonable I think. You've already spent $250-$300 on your 4.1 system. If you got the new set, that would be like a $550 investment!!! A pretty good ammount to give to the company.

An even better gift to their devoted customers would be some kind of Y-cable diagram setup to use the old 4.1 sub in conjunction to make a 5.2 system. AND!!! if possible, a bridged mode for the amps to power the sats. WOW...900watts+

Amy, run this by the tech guys or some boss.

quote:

from what i understood from him, he would want a new sub and center channel and keep the old setup. have two subs and 5 satelites.

That's not what XCQtioner stated:

quote:

Just wondering if there is a possibility that Klipsch will provide an upgrade for the 4.1's, to make them 5.1's.

Nothing in there at all about 5.2...

quote:

but the crossover in teh satelites is new, even newer than teh 4.1's. the sub ranges hae been raised to take less of the base from teh satelites, there may be some problems using old sats. with new crossover.

Not true either. The "new" crossover in the 5.1 satellites is the new crossover in the 4.1 satellites. The v.2-400 satellites have the older crossover. The satellite crossovers affect the transition between the midrange driver and the tweeter and have no effect on the sub-satellite transition; that's a completely different crossover.

Again, the 4.1 satellites are identical to the 5.1 satellites internally. The 4.1 and v.2-400 satellites are functionally interchangable with the 5.1 satellites.

Upgraders would not have the spring-clip wire connections that are present on the new satellites, and they would still have the original lighter gauge wire for their satellites (unless they upgraded these seperatetely). They also wouldn't have the angle adjustment that is present on the new 5.1 satellites. They would, however, have a great 5.1 setup.

It's not likely to ever happen, however, unless enough people let Klipsch know they want the upgrade...

Well, you could use the old sub with the rear channels. Keep the original control pod and sub and run the rear channels through them as is done in the 4.2 setup.

If you ran the rear channels directly from the sound card to the old CP/sub you would't need any additional parts to make the connections, but you would have to control the rear volume seperately, as in the 4.2 - at least until everything was in balance and then you could use software controls.

On the other hand, with the appropriate adapters you might be able to run the rear channels from the new sub to the old CP, which would allow rear volume control from the new control module. The trick would be turning the surround (on the new control module) and the old CP volume and sub levels down enough so that the rears/old sub wouldn't overpower the fronts/new sub (since they would be running from an amplified source), and for that reason it may not work at all. If it did work you could adjust the old CP volume & sub levels once to balance the rears/old sub with the fronts/new sub, and then from that point forward you could use the new control module as you would with the 5.1.