Has anyone used the Musical Fidelity X10-D ?

arj

This is supposed to be a tube buffer and if placed between a CDP & Pre is supposed to Enhance the quality of the analogue signal as well as make it more Tube Like .

Was wondering if anyone of you has owned/tried/heard of it before.

Stereophile does have a review of this but I would really appreciate any firsthand info from you folks !

(I use a NAD 521BEE CDP with a NAD C320BEE Int Amp)

Cheers!

mf10dla.jpg

Neat tweak IMO, they're occasionally found on the used market (for ~$150) as Musical Fidelity no longer makes them. Music is generally perceived as richer, more palpable, the depth of the soundstage is enlarged, especially thru less expensive players. To tweak a tweak, try swapping out the 6DJ8 stock tubes for something nicer, like Amperex Orange Globes, and plug the unit through a clean power filter. Had a NAD 502 player a few years back and found the X10-D to be a nice performance enhancer, even surprised what it can do for the SCD-777ES player*. Of course, now they integrate the tube output concept within the player itself. Because an extra pair of interconnects is required, some consider this tweak to be a form of heresy, my suggestion is before purchasing more expensive players or modifications try this in your current player and let your ears decide. If you don't like it you probably won't have any problem selling it given supply and demand. Click image above for Sam Tellig's infamous review.

*my overall preference with the SCD-777ES is to leave the X10-D out, as I've found some adverse effects with clarity and transients, though it can add some dimension of magic paired with the right tubes.

I have and use one.

It helps when placed between the output of my Toshiba 3900 DVD player and my integrated amp. Sound is (please pardon audiophilistically euphuistic adjectives) fuller, bass is riper, highs are not as thin, soundstage is deeper.

It does *NOT* help when placed between my Adcom GDA600 and my integrated amp. I have a CD chain that goes Cd transport digital out -> AA DTIPro jitter reducing / resolution enhancement widget -> Adcom D/A. Placing X10-D in this chain reduces bass impact and clarity and makes everything, overall, sound smaller.

My guess is output circuitry of Adcom is better than that of Toshiba, and while the Toshiba needs the higher input impedence of the X10-D to sound its best, the Adcom doesn't need it, and the Adcom output section is better than the X10-D output section.

hope that helps...

add me to the list of X10-D owners.

had mine for sometime now.

used between analog outputs of my Yamaha CDC-745 into my Yamaha RXV-2095.

it does mellow out the sound a bit. this is what it was intended to do.

cool tubular design.

I know at one time MF made a lot with this tubular design (preamp, amp).

not sure if they still do.

go it thru Audio Advisor for about $299 at the time.

Thanks Folks !

I did get a used one for around $150,

Funnily between my CDP & AMP it does not seem to be doing much ..

But when i place it between the "pre out" and "power amp in" in my Int amp it IS pretty good and does smoothen out the highs without affecting the lows (The bass is bloomy when this is just switched on but after around 15-20 min of warming it tightens up well)

I believe this currently uses Philip 6DJ8's which are not all that great. I've heard a Mullard 6DJ8 would make it sound sweeter..bit i am a tube novice hence not very sure..

I am sure this will not make the $400 CDP sound like a $1200 one..but it sure sounds very very good for a $150 tweak !!!

I guess the difference is much more remarkable with Klipsch due to the Horn Loading as well as High Sensitivity.