SOUND PROOFING

kiddo

I have a large room with one wall almost entirely windows to 8'. Floor is approx 22x25' 75% tile/25% carpet. Granite island and countertops with vaulted ceilings (from 10-16').

Can you say echo?

I am working on window coverings.

Any ideas on sound proofing??? (perhaps on top of cabinets in high niches)--anywhere it cannot be seen. My klipsch setup has potential, but it is stuck in an echo chamber!

HI

I think what you are looking for is room acoustical treatment and not sound proofing

Placing absorptive material in high places or in highly reflective cavities will do absolutely nothing for your slap echo problem but here are some choices that may help you

#1 Try to eliminate (as much as possible) any hard reflective surfaces between you and your front main speakers (example) a big glass coffee table in front of your listening position is not good

If you cant move or don't have any movable reflective surfaces read on

#2 Ok so you have allot of reflective surfaces that cant be moved here are some solutions to treat them

Tile floor : A large thick area rug between you and your speakers will work wonders

Widows : Heavy pleated curtains will help here

It would be of great benefit if you could fit acoustical panels into your decor at the first reflection on the side walls these are now available in various materials and colors to fit in most decors

Having over stuffed furniture in a room preferably cloth will help tame slap echos

for acoustical ceilings that are the exposed beam type a few hanging clouds will help but this may not fit in with your decor

A large book case filled with books of various depths in the rear can simulate a diffuser

A coat rack filled with large coats on the side wall can be of benefit

and lastly active room equalization as a last resort

I realize that some of the above can not be implemented in most room decors for one reason or another but

some of them may help you

I feel for you because I have been down that road myself in my current home. It may help (it did for me) to have your walls and ceiling treated with a decorative texturizing material commonly called "knock-down". This won't help absorb anything but it does some things to diffuse the refelctions off the walls in different directions, thus reducing ecos quite a bit. The one long wall that is almost all glass will benefit greatly from draperies/window treatments, but it doesn't necessarily have to be heavy draperies. If you are into vertical blinds, there are some fabric ones sold (mostly for commercial office building use..but very attractive) that have decent acoustical absorbancy. The area rug in front of the speakers is a primo idea...I use that over my hard marble floor to control sound reflection very effectively.

Good Luck