HT From Scratch For $700?

DillonW

A friend of mine wants to put a HT system together. Problem is, his budget is $700... for everything. Thats a receiver and five speakers. He has been looking at those "HT in a box" systems, in that price range. Personally I think he would be better off with with a set of Quintets and a solid state amp. My gut feeling is he won't be happy with the box set when he gets it home. I doubt he will really be happy with the Quints, but I can't stand the idea of the pre-packaged "surround systems". They really only sound decent in the store. What would you reccomend?

Thanks!

Bill

Ref series' cinema 8 or 10? And get a reciever for rest of the money?

If he really loves "HT in a box" you just prepare all the cables he needs and pack into a box 9.gif That's the word "HT in a box" means to me 9.gif

Quintet won't be bad but needs better sub other than KSW, perhaps RW-8 or 10?

Bill,

Not sure where you live, but here in Indianapolis, the local Klipsch retailer is running a special on the RW-8 for I believe 250 and the KSW-12 for 300. Best buy is selling the Quintets for 400. Doesn't leave much for a reciever obviously, but if he could go to 800, there are reasonable name brand 5.1 receivers for 150 bucks. I'd say that'd be a pretty good system considering the budget.