Definitive 6.2/8.2/Acoustic Edge post?

Gluegun

Hey everyone, I guess I'm kinda deadset on making a DEFINITIVE post for the best ways to hook up an Acoustic Edge to two sets of ProMedias...It's just that there's a lot of information on this subject spread out on this forum, but it's tough to find it all. So, I have a bunch of questions about all of this. Can anyone help me answer them? How about information related to the subjects of this soundcard and using two sets of Pro's with it?

Okay...

How do you connect two sets of Pro's to the Acoustic Edge? I have heard of problems with getting the 2.1 to work correctly as a center channel (ie, all of the bass going to the right sat, and everything else is going to the left. How do you get the two sats to get the same mono sound, and all the bass to go to the sub?) What are the different ways to make a 6.2 sound setup? How about using some other decoders?

Do you need to buy anything from Radioshack to get the 6.2/AE setup to work right? What?

If you have a 6.2/AE setup, what are the proper settings for the sound card? I've heard of a lot of problems with bass with the AE--how do you fix this?

I have heard there are some problems with quality of CD sound with the Acoustic Edge. Is this true? If so, what are the fixes?

If you have this setup, how should you play games and DVD's? Should you choose stereo or Dolby Digital for the DVD's? Does change per DVD? How about games? Stereo, EAX or A3D? If you have the Videologic Digitheatre DTS, can you choose stereo, DD, or DTS, and get 5.1 surround sound with either? What format sounds best with this card?

What are the current problems with win2k and the AE? Are these fixed? Where do you get the drivers?

How would you listen to headphones with this setup? Would you use the 2.1's or the 4.1's headphone jack? What's the best way to mute the sound coming out of the speakers so you can use headphones with this? Can you add a headphone amp to this setup?

Oh, I think I've figured out the best headphones for this setup...the Sennheiser HD 495's. They're comfy for long gaming sessions, sound good, and are under $100 if you shop around, and should be easy for the CP-1 to drive.

------------------

"Feh."

This may not be definitive since I don't have an AE, but my goal is to have one with a 6.2 setup like you want. So I'll throw in my 2 cents...

From what I understand the AE splits its output into six discreet channels, R/L front, R/L rear, and center/sub. If you plug your 2.1 centers into the center/sub output, the speakers will be receiving a R/L signal, where one is the center, and the other is the sub. So you will get the center channel out of one speaker only, the other is just getting the sub signal, and the pros crossover will send that to the sub. So to get the center channel out of both your speakers you will need to:

1. Split the center/sub (stereo) output into one center (mono) channel, and one sub(mono) channel. To do this you will need a male stereo to 2X female mono adapter.

2. Find which one is the center channel and which one is the sub. Then split the center channel back to stereo with a male mono to female stereo adapter. You are in effect isolating the center channel signal, then upmixing it to stereo. If you plug the 2.1 system into this upmixed output, you'll get the center channel coming out of both speakers.

Now for the sub output... The fact that the AE has a separate sub output actually makes life more difficult, because we want to have the pros handle the bass with their own crossover. I don't know if the AE has a crossover of its own (ie does it filter the bass out of all outputs other than the sub)but even if it doesn't, you still want the LFE output to go to both your promedia systems. To do that it will be necessary to mix the sub output into ALL the promedia inputs. To do this:

1. You have already split the center/sub into 2 mono channels; find the sub channel and split it into THREE mono channels (either use a one male to three female mono splitter, if one exists, or use 2X one male mono to two female mono splitters)

2. Mix each of these three into each promedia input (400 front and rear, and 2.1 front). Doing this will be a pain, you will need a male stereo + male mono -> female stereo adapter if one exists. If not you will have to split each of the 3 sub outputs into stereo first, then use 2 male stereo > one female stereo splitter, three times (once for every promedia input).

I can post a schematic if this is hard to understand... I am wondering also if this will cause the outputs to 'leak' between speakers... let me know what you guys think.

------------------

----------

Caring is the first step toward disappointment.

----------

Bump AGAIN!

DANGIT, SOMEONE HELP ME HERE!!

I read the informative review of the Acoustic Edge on 3DSoundSurge.com, but, while it was informative, it managed to confuse me and not quite answer my questions. Could you all maybe check it out and help me interpret it to answer my questions?

Wow, windstorm, that's a lotta adapters...

------------------

"Feh."