So many questions, which do I ask ???

phredd42

I get so confused with audio gear, what's good, bad...

I 'spose alot of it is personal, in my mind, thought I tend to buy on looks alone, plus I sometimes figure if it costs a bit it can't be all that bad.

I have an ATI 1505(mint btw, any takers, make an offer), now I see this new Anthem 2ch I want, plus I have an old Carver I like, then there is Rotel, so hard to decide, plus my wallet is now VERY limited.

My question (which I may have asked once??) is: If clipping normally occurs after say 12 on volume, then why do they even make it so you can usually go as far as 5-6 o'clock. I think my Accurus goes to 5pm.

Just wondering, thx

Fred

Let's say you have an integrated amplifier, and when you're playing a CD it clips (or reaches maximum output level) when the volume knob is at 12:00. What does that really mean? It means that given the input signal strength (voltage level) coming from the CD player, the integrated amp reaches it's maximum output level with the volume at this setting. Now, suppose we replace the CD player with some other device, say a portable CD player, or a tuner, or something, that has a signal level that is way lower than your CD player. For example, suppose the CD player puts out 2 volts at maximum signal level, but the tuner only puts out .7 volts. You'd have to turn the volume knob on the amp much further past 12:00 to reach the same output level when listening to the tuner.

When I listen to Cd's on my Rotel RA850BX2 integrated amp, I never turn the volume control up past about 10:00. However, when I listen to records on my Thorens / Grado Platinum combo, I sometimes can't get enough volume with the volume control turned all the way up.