What gets replaced when a tweeter is blown in the RF-3IIs?/ How good is Klipsch about giving me new ones?

Pistol Pete

Isn't it just a tiny diaphram that gets replaced when you blow a tweeter in the RF-3IIs?

How good is Klipsch about giving me new ones and will they keep making them for awhile? These were purchased from an authorized Brick and Mortar dealer.

Basically I accidentally turned my system up to an insanly loud level, the only thing going for me is that my speakers were set to small but still I am sure I sent several hundred watts to the speakers for a short time....and worse I probably clipped my amp.

Everything works fine still but I am sure my tweeters are weaker then they were before and I am sure these will be the first to blow if this should ever happen again.

I would not mind having a spare set of them on hand, where can I buy them outright?

Thanks

I was just looking at my receiver specs,

Dynamic Power/Ch (8/6/4/2 ohms)

155/195/250/340 W,

I had it in stereo mode , and my volume db level read

-11db , speakers set to small, no EQing , no nothing.

The source material was Bob Dylan's "Desire", the song "The Hurricane"...not too dynamic.

Do you guys think my amp clipped or not? Supposedly Yamaha's db steppings are realistic in terms of amp output, but I am not sure how that could work out since different source materials will sound louder that others.

Oh and your probably wondering how one accidentally turns up one's stereo so loud? 9.gif .....12.gif Well

I got a new RF (radio frequency) universal remote and was across the street from my house testing to see how far away it would operate. I was at least 25 yards away and I turned it up so I could hear it, not thinking about how loud it actually was. I hit the mute button from across the street and came back in the house....went into my HT room and hit mute again..................bam!!!!!!!!!!!! Holy mother of god , it was loud!!! 6.gif

I could literally feed my old speakers 900 watts and they would never have gotten nearly this loud..they were also a dual 8" drivers , 1" tweeter configuration and also the same power handling specs as my RF3IIs but they were 92dbs sensitive.

Incidentally, I blew numerous tweeters on my old speakers over the course of several years because I fed them so much power.

They were crossed pretty low like the RF-3IIs and the tweeters were easy to get @ $20 each.

I don't think you heart anything. You should be able to get around -5 or so with cd's. They don't have the huge peaks that dvd have. Klipsch is very good at replacing stuff. You have to take the driver off the horn and that is it. I have put 400 watts to each of my RF3II and they handled it with out any problems.