AC Power

The Panamax regenerator is intended to provide small amouts of super clean (regenerated) power to digital components. The regenerator cannot supply enough power for an amplifier. The Panamax unit does have non-regenrated power available for amps.

The Panamax unit is very expensive and is not a good investment IMO unless you have major problems with power noise that interferes with digital components. BTW, i have multiple Panamax surge supressors in my own system.

High priced power cables can be found right next to the snake oil in the audio store. If a power cable is picking up noise, try a $.50 ferrite choke. (Rat Shack sells them for $5.) If you want less resistance, buy a bigger business machine cable in a computer store. Odds are that the manufacturers of your components have good power cables included with their equipment. They do not want your power cables to fail and start fires.

Bill

I couldn't find the max power output of this unit on the Panamax site, a peculiar omission, and that's a critical point of information! A similarly pricey competitor is PS Audio, which sells the P300 (300 watts max), the P600 (600 watts), the P1200 and the P2000. I don't think these have the surge protection and other Panamax do-dads.

The P300 costs about the same as the Panamax, and the others head rapidly upward. The nice thing about PS Audio is that they'll sell you one with a 30-day FULL money-back guarantee, which basically means an in-home trial for only shipping costs both ways if you decide against it.

Aside from cost, disadvantages are notable: they consume approximately twice the power they deliver because of how the regeneration works; they put out noticeable heat; and an audible fan goes on at higher power outputs. Moreover, I didn't find any advantage to powering my pre-amp or tuner, although you can change the "line" frequency from 60 Hz, e.g. to 90 Hz, allegedly making some components sound better. On the other hand, I heard some improvement in powering my digital (CD) equipment, and, surprisingly, a very noticeable improvement in my motor-driven stuff, namely my turntable (!) and cassette deck, so I have to keep it at 60 Hz. YMMV.

Larry