SACD / Bit rate / Sampling rate

tgourlie

What Bit and sampling rates do SACD's perfom at?

Once a song is compressed (eg. wave to mp3) can it be decompressed to the same "quality" or a higher "quality." sound? I know you can resample it and convert it to whatever you want, but will it only have the same "sound quality" as the mp3 format it was compressed to? I hope you get what I mean.

What my thoughts are, is that I can rip songs off of a cd in wav. format, and resample them at a huge rate and put them on a CD / DVD that will play in a DVD player or a SACD player. I am guessing I could do it, but it will not be "true" DVD or SACD quality sound. let me know if my thinking is correct.

blah blah blah..... I hope there is some techy out there that can help my thinking. Thanks

Most SACDs are recorded using DSD (Direct Stream Digital, I believe) at something over 2million hz sampling rate. Incredibly high!!! However, the quality is still dependent on the quality of the original recording. If it was originally recorded using DSD, and mixed that way, and then burned to SACD that way, you're talking very high resolution. Of course, anything that steps down from that in the chain will introduce reduced resolution.

Actually closer to 3 million samples, 2.8224 Million to be exact, but it only uses one bit per sample.

If you take rip a CD to MP3, you are throwing some of the information away, so there is no way to make the recording sound better, after being compressed, than the original, no matter what bit rate you use.

There are a lot of electronics that will "up-sample" a recording to double the sampling rate, my Panasonic RP-91 has a "Re-Master" function, but it is debateable whether it sounds any different.

Just out of curiosity, what software did you intend to use to make your WAV files a higher bit-rate than they already are? Any MP3 bit rate is going to be much lower than the original.