Anybody HDTV?

ironwoods

CC had an ob Zenith HDV-420, HD tuner @ $209 and I let it sit.

This does terrestrial HD only. Any comments from past or present owners on this model? CC said they were "discontinuing" it- CC or Zenith?, I asked, but they didn't know. Anybody beat $209?3.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Reasonable price. I had the 420 for a week or so just to test out tuner sensitivity before leaping into the fray on the Sony HD-200 (the equivalent to the Zenith HDV-520).

From what I've seen Zenith/LG/Sony has the best tuner on the market. Holds on to weaker signals much better than earlier generation HD receivers.

However, receivers with Lynx and other newer methods of receiving ATSC signals are going to be coming to market soon, which should put these old tuners' abilities to shame. If you're in a fringe area, you might want to wait for the next gen. But ~$200 is a reasonable price for a temporary solution, IMO.

Rick

----------------

On 1/12/2004 2:52:36 PM ironwoods wrote:

CC had an ob Zenith HDV-420, HD tuner @ $209 and I let it sit.

This does terrestrial HD only. Any comments from past or present owners on this model? CC said they were "discontinuing" it- CC or Zenith?, I asked, but they didn't know. Anybody beat $209?
3.gif

----------------

Went back the next day and it was gone.

What?.... new technology on the horizon? I usually don't find this out, till 31 days after I've made my purchase! Thanks for the heads up. I'm not in a fringe area, so, would this Linx have any other benifits, other than improved reception? Price catagory? Thanks for the replies.

I'm not sure about cost, and there are no products announced yet. But I think it's supposed to deal with noise filtering better so that a weaker signal in a fringe area can be hung onto and decoded better. I.E., I get CBS and NBC flawlessly, but sometimes ABC drops out, and I *never* get Fox or PBS, though I get really low signals for them. The Linx would be able to lock on to those signals in some new, better way (I'd have to look up Linx again to better describe it to you, since I've forgotten).

Since you're not fringe you'd probably be just fine with a Zenith 420, or their newer model, the LG LST-3100A.

Good luck!

Rick