Newbie seeking speaker advice.

Daedrian

I've never owned a decent pair of speakers and am looking to buy a pair. I've heard a lot of good things about Klipsch speakers but don't know really what to get...

I don't have room for a whole 5.1 type home theater setup in my apartment so I'm just looking for a nice pair of speakers mostly for listening to music but also for the audio when watching a dvd.

I don't really want to spend more than $500-700 dollars on the speakers.

I live in an apartment and my living room where the speakers will be is about 12ft by 12ft. I listen to a lot of different types of music - Metal, Neoclassical, rock,,

I don't have a receiver yet, I'll worry about that after the speakers.

The reference series seems nice but I think out of my price range for new ones. I've been looking at used speakers on ebay - clearly cornwall, la scala, chorus, etc are out of my price range but I could probably get a pair of Heresy's or Forte's. Which one is better? I also see some other speakers on there like KG-4.2, KG-other #'s, Epic CF3, Quartets. What are your opinions of these and what do they go for? Any other speakers I've not listed you would reccomend?

I've noticed a lot of the older speakers are three way with two different horns and a woofer while some of the newer ones like Reference and Synergy are only two way. Why is this? Doesn't the 3 way sound better?

Well thanks for reading this, I appreciate any advice you people could give me :)

Daedrian,

Welcome to the forum!

Of the speakers you mentioned Fortes would serve you best or Cornwalls if you can find a pair in your price range. Jt1stcav here on the site has his Corns in a room of similiar size and seems more than pleased with them. I'm sure others will be answering your query as well.

Rick

Thanks, Rick. My room is 12' x 13.5' x 8' and the Cornwalls do sound good there. But in all honesty, I'd like to relocate my entire audio system to the formal living room in my house (which is 3 times the size of my current spare bedroom/office)...then my Cornwalls can reach their full potential and sound their best!

If I had the spare change, I'd probably go for the Forte or Heresy (with a subwoofer) in my present listening room, or even the Reference Series bookshelf monitors on top-quality stands. The Forte's bass range is lower than the Heresy, so you might get away without using a sub. For the best bang for the buck, definately go with used loudspeakers...great deals can be found in your price range if you're observant (and patient). For a receiver, any lower-wattage new or used stereo receiver in the 20 to 50 WPC range would be ideal. You can go with larger wattage receivers, but it's really unnecessary with efficient Klipsch.

Welcome to the forum, and good luck.

I wouldn't rule out Chorus II's. They can be had for $700, maybe even less. Long term that would be my choice. Chorus, Forte, Heresyin that order. Chorus will sound larger than Forte. The Forte will have better bass than Heresy. Nothing wrong with Heresy other than being a bit shy on bass. You can probably buy either one of the other two models for less than Heresys and a sub.

J.

Keep your eyes out for Forte, Chorus AND Quartet. All of them would be just great, and I'd get them before I got Heresy's unless you are going to have a subwoofer. All 3 will handle the bass nicely for you, although they aren't bottom feeders. And you can get the original models or the II models of the Forte/Chorus and you'll like either.