Amps and Klipsches

Jordan

This is the argument of separates versus integrated devices. Odds are that a good amp will improve the sound, but then so will a great pre-amp. Receivers sometimes compromise on both amplication and pre-amp quality. For example, my Denon 3300 sounded great to me in my HT, until I put an Acurus amp in the system, and then I saw the shortcomings of the Denon. I also realized the hiss was coming from the pre-amp (in this case, the Denon).

In the 28 yrs I have owned my Belles I have driven them with serveral combinations on recievers and Amps-Pre-amps. They all have sounded differnt. I have lived in my same home for 26 yrs plus and have tried 4 differnt amp-pre amp arrangements with the speakers/furnature etc in the same place. 1st of 4 in currant home was Tandberg 3006 & 3008 amp-preamp. Used these until last year when I tried replaceing the Tandberg pre-amp with a McIntosh C28. Went back to the Tanberg pre-amp replaceing the C28 because of the Tandbergs phono section. Sounded better in the base with the Mac pre-amp. Than I tried a Adcom 5802 amp. Listened to that for 3 days before I decided the Adcom was not good with my Belles at all. Something was missing. The highs were dead. The Tandberg amp

sounded much better. Next I replaced the Tandberg amp with the McIntosh MC352 which really brought the bottom end out much, much better at both hi and low volumes. Couldn't be happier with this amp. And finally I replaced the Tandberg pre-amp with a C40 because of the fine phono section in it. Also other features of the C40.So I'd swear to the fact every componant has it's own sound. These 4 differnt combinations were all with the speakers and furnature in exactly the same place. My systems sounds almost perfect for me now. Now just waiting for Al's x-overs and that should get me where I want to be. Hope this helps.

hoggy