Questions on speaker configuration

HT Rookie

I currently have the following speakers and configurations

Front-RF-25

Front Center & Rear Center- RC-25 (rear center on stand 4 feet high)

Rears-RB-25 on stands about 4 feet high

Sub-RW-10

I have a Yami RX-v1400 and have my speakers set to large all around and bass set to sub

First, what should be my cross over level in order to get a better blending of the bass management. Meaning, I want a level where the listener can not distinguish whether the bass is coming from the main speakers or the sub unless the sub is off.

I am assuming that the cross over level would depend on the speaker size setting. If I set all of my speakers to small, would that help in making the sub disappear or make it more noticable.

Second, I do have all of my speakers set to large. Should the mains be the only ones set to large

Thx

----------------

On 1/16/2004 4:20:45 PM HT Rookie wrote:

I currently have the following speakers and configurations

Front-RF-25

Front Center & Rear Center- RC-25 (rear center on stand 4 feet high)

Rears-RB-25 on stands about 4 feet high

Sub-RW-10

I have a Yami RX-v1400 and have my speakers set to large all around and bass set to sub

First, what should be my cross over level in order to get a better blending of the bass management. Meaning, I want a level where the listener can not distinguish whether the bass is coming from the main speakers or the sub unless the sub is off.

I am assuming that the cross over level would depend on the speaker size setting. If I set all of my speakers to small, would that help in making the sub disappear or make it more noticable.

Second, I do have all of my speakers set to large. Should the mains be the only ones set to large

Thx

----------------

I was told by my audio tech that according to Dolby, all speakers should be set to small, that wa all bass is coming from your sub. They also told me that the normal setting for subs is 80mhz. I am not a rookie to HT, however there is people on this forum that may be able to confirm or my post or maybe even say I am wrong. Either way, we both may learn something!2.gif

I would certainly set all but your mains to small to begin with. All but your floorstanders will give out in the bass region far too soon and you'll lose bass response from those channels as a result. Also, what bass they DO produce below 80hz is easily localized (you can tell where it's coming from), and you probably don't want that.

You can then try setting your mains to small as well. It will free them up from deep bass duty and may let them do a better job on the mids and highs. It's something you'll have to play with. My gut feeling is you'll want the mains set to small as well, 'cause in HT terms they don't go all that low, and there is some low bass content in the main/center channels (and even surrounds) on DVDs which may be lost, or may overtax the RF's ability to produce cleanly.

dd

----------------

I was told by my audio tech that according to Dolby, all speakers should be set to small, that wa all bass is coming from your sub. They also told me that the normal setting for subs is 80mhz.

----------------

I don't think even Dogs can hear 80MHz.

What choices do you have for crossover? I would set your speakers all at small, and cross the sub over at the closest frequency to the bottom end of your speakers.