Which Sub?

FirebirdTN

The short version:

PB1-ISD or 20-39 PCI?

The long version:

Have been a long time lurker, seldom poster. I am a poor guy (LOL), and have been SLLLOOOWWWLLLY building my low end HT.

I have a Sony STRDA-1000ES (yeah, I know sony isn't well reguarded around here, but it was the best bang for the buck for my needs), and a set of Klipsch Quintet IIs that are wall mounted around the room.

I will be placing my order for my sub tommorrow, and I can't frigin' decide on which one. I am SET on SVS, but due to limited budget, those are my only two possibilities (wanted a little lower reach than the 25-31PCi). I kind of like the more traditional look of the box sub, but haven't seen no where NEAR the attention that the cylinder models get.

I have a fairly large room, and after talking to SVS via email, they told me either choice would work great. I realize the sub is WAAAAAYY overkill for my little quintets, but in this case, I want quality, non-boomy bass, and anything left to spare on the sub, is just extra headroom.

I know the PB1-ISD is sort of "inbeteen" the 25-31PCi and the 20-39PCi in terms of performance (Ron told me the PB1-ISD is tuned to 22Hz), but I haven't seen alot of reviews on this sub.

In short, all the glaring SVS reviews I have seen are on the cylinder models. I haven't seen too many on the box models, with the exception of a few PB2-ISD and PB2+ model owners.

Soooooo...Is the PB1 in the same league as the 20-39PCi, or is the cylinder just way better?

TIA,

-Alan

i think the two subs are very close in performance...SVS is just offering different choices (cylinder vs. box). price is nearly identical, but the box will be alot heavier i believe. i have a cylinder and love it...and like the lower weight of it vs. a heavy box in the corner.

for performance i don't think you can make a wrong choice between the two!

good luck

The box is tuned a bit higher than the 2030 PCI. A 2531Pci would be the equivalent. If you are listening mostly to music then the 2531 or the box may be the way to go. If you want home theater applications to be your meat and potatoes then go with the 2039PCi. It's the closest thing to a universal sub that SVS has in this price range. I used to have one before graduationg to my SVS PB2+ and it was wonderful all the way up untill I moved into a new house with a 7000 cu ft listening room.

I think however you would be happy with either. After all, any sub beats no sub, and any SVS sub beats all the others.

Jerry Rappaport