On the face of it, a simple request.....

maxg

So the wife says - can I watch the satellite in the bedroom whilst you are watching something else in the living room? Or a DVD?

Hmmmm....

How to setup a link from the living room to the bedroom so that whatever I am watching or listening to she can watch either the same thing or something else in the bedroom?

This has become especially desirous since the baby's discovery of video and DVD. Of course whatever the Baby wants to watch I get stuck with it whilst she slopes off to bed and something more palatable.

cabling%20network.JPG?dc=467545673807553

Rather proud of the above but its not perfect yet. Trouble is that I can't yet output the video into the bedroom as it is only equiped with 2 scart sockets and audio out (no RCA Video out).

I can also only listen to the pickup through the tubes when she is watching, or listening to something else. When she is not using anything I can listen to everything through the tubes (the problem is that there are only 2 inputs on that DECWARE).

The good thing is that she can watch DVD or Satellite whilst I watch or listen to anything, even another DVD whilst she watches a different one (the advantage of having 2 DVD players). Sound though, as said earlier, is restricted to the TV's speakers except for the TT.

I could use a SCART to RCA converter for the output from the video into the switchbox and run the Satellite direct into the TV and then run the spare video out directly into the Sony, but that would mean we cant watch the video in the living room if SWMBO is watching a DVD in the bedroom. Bugger!!

Anyway I think that this is the best I can do for now - unless anyone else has any clever ideas.

Surprizingly the quality degredation over 10 meter RCA's (around 30 feet) for video and audio is not really noticable. Probably says more about the system in the bedroom than anything else.

Max, what type of satellite system do you use? If the dish is fixed you would need a second decoder for the bedroom and possibly a booster for the signal from the dish.

If the dish tracks multiple satellites, you could do the same thing but you would be forced to watch programing on the same satellite at the same time.

My receiver is this:

dsb8082ci.gif

dsb8082ci_b.gif

Details at http://195.108.191.103/b2c/us/product/receiver/detail/default.asp?txtreceiver=dsb8082ci&txtPicture=back

This is connected to 2 90 cm dishes one pointing at the Hotbird satellite and the other at the Astra Satellite.

As it stands I cant see a way for you to watch 2 channels from this unit as it only has a single tuner. I think I would need a second receiver to do what you are suggesting.

decoder=reciever,same thing, so you would need another in the bedroom.

I don't know how you switch between dishes but you would probably have to watch programming on the same dish at the same time but view other sources without problem.