Audio cable connecting receiver to subwoofer

Dog88

I've heard conflicting opinions on the quality of the cable that should be used to connect the receiver to the subwoofer. One friend insists on buying expensive, high quality wire and says anything less will sacrifice sound quality. Another says that is overkill and a standard mono cable with RCA jacks will do just fine for the subwoofer.

What is the opinion here? My sub is about 15 ft from the receiver and there is a big cost difference between the two options above.

Cable quality can be a touchy subject, some think the skies the limit and will swear they can hear the difference. The only advice I can give is to use something better than the cheapest thing you can find. I think you should also consider the length of the run, the longer it is, the better the quality of cable you may want to choose. This is just my opinion, I know there are about a zillion different cable makers and the prices to match out there.

----------------

On 1/23/2004 1:48:49 PM Dog88 wrote:

I've heard conflicting opinions on the quality of the cable that should be used to connect the receiver to the subwoofer. One friend insists on buying expensive, high quality wire and says anything less will sacrifice sound quality. Another says that is overkill and a standard mono cable with RCA jacks will do just fine for the subwoofer.

What is the opinion here? My sub is about 15 ft from the receiver and there is a big cost difference between the two options above.

----------------

Any well shielded wire will do the trick, I had some quad-shield RG-6 laying around that guys left when they installed our cable, I just went out to Radio Shack a pair of these to screw on each end, works wonderfully.

http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&product%5Fid=278-252

SVS sells subwoofer cables from Better Cables. Better Cables are fairly expensive but SVS offers a really nice discount with their subs. When I was buying my SVS, I asked the SVS tech guy if I should replace my Acoustic Research (modestly priced) cable with one of the Better Cables. He told me that the AR cable was just fine. I appreciated the honesty and felt comfortable with the AR cable.